Stacy W
Stacy W
  • Canton, GA
Asked on Mar 25, 2013

How large of a rootball do I need when replanting a tree?

Kaelynne AldrichDouglas HuntStacy W
+1

I have an 8 ft Deodar Cedar planted this time last year that I realize now is too low. Not an issue until this very wet winter. Is now a good time to replant it and how large of a rootball do I need to grab?

Do you mean that the tree was planted too deep in the ground, Stacy? This is something you certainly want to take care, regardless of the type of winter you have. Fortunately, your tree is probably not that well established if only planted a year ago. I'd say the sooner the better in terms of timing. Here's a rough guide to rootball sizes, but basically bigger's better: https://sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/generic-rootball-size-guide

• Stacy W

Yes too deep. I will do it this weekend. Thanks.

Make sure you keep the soil moist after transplanting. Good luck!

• Kaelynne Aldrich

And...don't pile up dirt or around the root flare either, too many people palnt the tree with dirt suround the trunk/base of the tree, then pack dirt around it. Make sure you tie it up for it to grow straight, but keep an eye on it,so the ties don't get embedded in the tree.