Cathy Martinez
Cathy Martinez
  • San Antonio, TX
Asked on Mar 25, 2013

Grubworms: How do I get rid of them?

Gail SalminenBernice HJayme
+6

We are renters in Texas and our back yard has little grass to speak of. The owner is not open to invest in upgrading it or treating it any way. There are grub worms in the soil. I pull the weeds but have not planted anything. I have lots of potted succulents which I love but want to try my hand at vegetable gardening and a little grass would be nice. I have not attempted either because I don't want to cause an early death to anything I plant if the worms are going to affect my plantings. I don't have lots of money to spend on a service to come take care of the problem. Any of you experienced gardeners have advice for me?
  • Jayme

Is there anyway for you to take and post a pic of the grubs you are finding?

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

hmmm, yes a picture of the bugger would be helpful for identification.

• Jeanette S

I understand Arm & Hammer makes a eco friendly treatment for these. I have not tried it, but I would look into it.

• Bernice H

I would like to see a picture also.

• Debbie L

A couple of ducks and flood the area a few times. Happy ducks!

• Irene

I went on line and found "gardeningzone.com/grubkiller". Very interesting information. You can order nematodes from them and it kills all the grubs in 24 - 48 hours. The info says it kills them forever. Evidently the nematodes stay in the ground forever. I would imagine you could call the nurseries around you and see if they have nematodes. I would like to get rid of grubs too especially the ones that turn into june bugs. This kills many different kinds of grubs in soil and lawn. The cost is $14.50 for I think it was 2000 square feet and then more for more coverage. I think it would take care of my whole back yard. It is worth reading all the info they have. Hi Bernice. The grubs I find in my yard are fat white worms about 3/4" long and they are usually curled up. I didn't know what they were until I read the info today. Good luck with the killing of all your grubs.

• Jayme

I used Milky Spore on my backyard last year and I have nematodes to use on my veggie garden this year.

• Bernice H

haha..Now I don't know what nematodes are! good gravy!

• Gail Salminen

@Cathy Martinez in this neck of the woods they recommend nematodes. Environmentally friendly. We get ours from Home Depot and they recommend an spring - for us that is usually in May. If affected from the previous fall, need to dig up the ground and replant with grass seed. Treat all of your lawn front in back. This has worked for us for about three years now. You can consult with your nursery for your area.