Vintage Scarf Shatter-proof Suncatchers

How to make an unbreakable suncatcher from old scarves!
Be sure to check out my my full tutorial here for each and every step!
I just LOVE old scarves...but have a bunch that fallen prey to snags, stains, and holes. But they're so pretty that I just couldn't bear to toss them.
So I decided to upcycle the pretty parts I could salvage by creating super simple suncatchers to hang in my kitchen bay window! Step one, gather small embroidery hoops- which I almost always find at thrift stores.
Step two: separate hoops and place scarf fabric between them.
Step three: hang in the window!
I can leave these hanging in my windows (GREAT way to keep birds from flying into them!) and not worry about a certain kitty (aka, Cottonball) knocking them down and shattering on the floor. Love that!

30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Sadie Seasongoods

• Geraldine Pecorella
    Geraldine Pecorella

will they fade in the sun?,if so find more salvaged fabric and make some more.

• Betsy Joppe
      Betsy Joppe

Fabric will fade in the sun. There is no getting around it. Enjoy for the time being and then change it out!!!

• Terri
    Terri

Hi I have a beautiful silk scafr that is in excellent condition and I would love to be able to display it either on the wall or hanging in a window but don't want to cut or damage it in any way. Any suggestions what I could display it in or on? its a square shaped and quite large. Thanks

• Kat
      Kat

I agree with Carol. I've done this with beautiful scarves and photo frames and hung it in a window. I've had it hanging for about 6 or 7 years and it's a bit faded but still is lovely. It's not in a sunny window which would probably quicken the fading.

• Sue Lilly
    Sue Lilly

Would they have to be then almost see threw material

• Nan
    Nan

I have a silk scarf I have been wondering what to do with. I will now look for 2 large picture frames with glass that are the same size and place the scarf in between the glass - then place it in a window that does not get sun... Now my scarf is preserved and enjoyed in a unique and useful way
  • Doreen Kennedy
    Doreen Kennedy

Such a nifty idea. I can tell that kitty likes them too.