Teresa C
Teresa C
  • Willow Spring, NC
Asked on Mar 26, 2013

Weed vs flower

TeoCarolbpalmerKim Morgan-James
+13

Does anyone know if this is a perennial or just a weed? It came up in a raised bed where I have thrown numerous flower seeds. I think it is a weed but before I hit it with a weed killer, I would like your opinions. Thanks, Teresa
q weed vs flower, flowers, gardening, raised garden beds
  • Carol

By any chance did you plant native Columbine? Don't use weed killer in your garden beds. It could affect your garden and you shouldn't plant for a minimum of 30 days.

• One persons perennial is another persons weed... Dittos on the weed killer, you would be much better pulling it at the roots if it is a weed / you don't like

• Teresa C

It is possible, it may be columbine. Thanks for reminding me not to use weed killer in my garden bed. I'll re-post if it blooms. Thanks for your comments.

• Colleen P

looks like columbine to me as well.....good luck!

• Julie S

It could be columbine....if it never produces pink flowers on a long stalk, it is a weed! And don't spray in your garden beds, everything in there will die! Pull the weeds out, getting as much root as you can! God bless your garden!

• Tammy@Deja Vue Designs

looks like columbine to me.

• Jayme

Yes definitely a columbine not a weed. I have several of these in my garden each year. The are easy to save seeds from and then plant where you want them.

• Mary Thorne

Columbine - It's possible a bird may have dropped the seeds. Happened to me. Enjoy them - free flowers!

• Teresa C

Thanks everyone for all your responses!

• Peg

It's a very happy and healthy columbine! Enjoy it as it certainly loves it's new home! Let us know what color it turns out to be. I have several varieties and enjoy finding new ones. Some reseed easily, like the purple or pale pink ones.

• Teresa C

The home talk folks are so smart! I do have some great combines.

q weed vs flower, flowers, gardening, raised garden bedsq weed vs flower, flowers, gardening, raised garden bedsq weed vs flower, flowers, gardening, raised garden bedsq weed vs flower, flowers, gardening, raised garden beds
  • Peg

What a surprise and gift for you! So glad you didn't weed whack them! You can save the seeds to replant, or let them reseed. I like to cut my flowers after they're done and get a new bloom. Not a bountiful as the fist set of blooms, I add a little bloom booster fertilizer to help. Enjoy!

• Teresa C

Thanks Peg!

• Kim Morgan-James

love columbine!

• Carolbpalmer

Does columbine look like a clover? I have something that looks like this with small pink flowers in my garden.

• Teo

N le numim Caldaruse,se gasesc in mai multe culori pe o tije lunga ,la noi sunt perene si avem ierni cu ger de -23de grade C.