Asked on Mar 26, 2013

HELP!!! How to hang a large mirror without nails

ElinMadhav MadNancy Spencer Carlson
+10

We'll be moving into a rental with the " no nails in walls rules!" I feel like I'm going to die if I can't hang my special things, I know they sell removable hanging tabs for pictures and lightweight items but, does anyone have ideas to hang large mirrors?
  • KMS Woodworks

How about screws....LOL. Some of the adhesive backed foam might be strong enough for smallish mirrors. This is one serious advantage to owning rather than renting. MY house my rules kind of thing. I'm assuming there might already be some mirrors in the bath?

• Foremost Construction Services.... perhaps you place a small decoative table against wall & place mirror atop and secure w/ velcro self adhesive strips. there is several types of adhesive wall attachments available at most home improvement stores and some that leave only "pin holes" that can be easily repaired w/ patch-n-paint.

• Sweet Inspirations by JP

Well, thank you for your suggestion, but I am talking about a very large 4 x 3.mirror. As for patching...we have a no painting clause so therefore no patching :(

• Jeanette S

That is the problem with rentals...the restrictions sometimes keep you from making it your own place; but then what you love, the owner might see only a repair bill! Get several old doors and make yourself a "free standing wall" on which to hang this mirror along with your other treasures. The doors can even go behind a sofa for stability, etc. Or build one out of any number of materials. You could even add molding shelves, hang seasonal wreaths, etc. (If you make this in pieces, you can take it with you when you leave.)

• Gail Salminen

@Sweet Inspirations by JP hmmm quite the challenge. I think @Jeanette S has some good ideas. I guess it also depends on the width of the wall and if it is between two walls. If the dimensions are right, perhaps you could get an extension pole, hang the mirror in the middle and perhaps curtains on either side to disguise the pole. Also found this site on line - http://www.ehow.com/how_6575471_hang-mirror-putting-hole-wall.html that may help you but I have never used this method, something to research though. You will have to let us know what you end up doing.

• Tammy Brown

Or better yet, buy a sheet of sheetrock, make your own wall, put it against the real wall, secured somehow with velcro or goop. hang your mirror with nails or screws.

• Sweet Inspirations by JP

Keeping my fingers crossed, Jeanette!

• Sweet Inspirations by JP

Brilliant, Jeannette!!!!!!!!!

• Sweet Inspirations by JP

Gail, I will look into that tip, too...thank you for your reply....I will post my resolution!

• User

Hi does

• Nancy Spencer Carlson

@Sweet Inspirations by JP Designs Time's up! We want to know what you did! I really like Jeannette's idea. And Tammy Brown has another wonderful idea. Years ago I read about building your own walls and securing them with tension poles, as used to hold up behind-the-toilet cabinets from yesteryear. In that application a large block of something flat was put between the top of the spring rod and the ceiling to prevent dents. It also could be backed with styro insulation for sound-proofing.

• Elin

Frame it and put it on the floor or leave it as is and tuck it safely at an angel in a corner.