Laundry Sauce – Easy Five Minute Laundry Soap Tutorial

I have been making my own laundry detergent for quite some time and I’m very happy with the cleaning power and the savings we enjoy from making it!
I have always used a streamlined version of that recipe which I’ll outline below. The only ingredients are Fels-Naptha soap, Super Washing Soda, Borax, Water, and optionally – essential oil for fragrance.
I already had 1/2 a bar of soap so I decided to only make one jar of Sauce. You’ll cut your 1/2 bar into small chunks like so…
Recipe:
Ingredients in your Laundry Sauce:
1/2 bar Fels-Naptha Soap
1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup Super Washing Soda
20-30 drops essential oil (optional)
Enough boiling water to fill the jar almost the rest of the way
Then you’ll scoop them up and put them in your mason jar.
The recipe I’m going to outline yields one quart jar – I wanted to see how I liked it, so I didn’t double it. But I definitely will next time!
You’ll put 1 1/2 cups boiling water into the jar and put the lid on. I cannot begin to describe how EXCITING this part was!!! NO GRATING THE SOAP AND MELTING IT DOWN – STIRRING ON THE STOVETOP!!! At this stage of the game I was feeling really hopeful – yet leery. How could this really work and be so easy? I just left it til the next day!
Add your 1/2 cup Borax and 1/2 cup Super Washing Soda. I also add my essential oils at this point. I use grapefruit and it doesn’t make the laundry actually smell like grapefruit but it’s a beautiful, fresh, crisp clean scent and I love it!
You’ll add enough boiling water to bring your Sauce mixture up to the point at which the jar just begins to narrow at the shoulder. (meaning the highest point on the jar that is still the widest width) I did blend and see there was more room than I thought in the jar so I added just a little more boiling water and blended again, but you don’t want to overload your jar by any means. Head space is important so you don’t end up with a mess on your hands.
Make sure when fitting your gasket and blade from your blender on the top of your jar that you line them up perfectly and that all pieces including your jar are clean and dry. You don’t want anything interfering with your seal.
This is where I had to take my lid back off and use my butter knife to loosen the soap from the bottom of the jar. The blending takes about 20 seconds on high! That’s it!
So easy and fast – I’m so excited to have an even more concentrated version of my original recipe. After a few days it does set up a bit. It’s still soft, but I just keep a Tablespoon in my laundry area and scoop a heaping Tbsp letting my washer water run it off the spoon. (and to save money, I wash in cold – always. I believe friction is the main cleaning agent and I’ve never been disappointed.
Do you make your own laundry detergent or sauce? Let us know :)

Laura's Little House Tips

• Fran

What exactly does borax do in this? Is it possible to leave it out? It's hard to get here because it's believed to be quite poisonous...

• Penny Stewart

I make it in 5 gallons now I going to try the sauce and see how that works out for me . It's great soap for cleaning more then your clothes too. It's awesome come $ try it for

• Rachael Basye

Would this work in a HE washer? I know I’m supposed to use lower volumes of soap, usually more concentrated. I pour it into the little detergent container on top. I’d love to make my own. Currently I use 7th generation but homemade would be cheaper.

• Alicja Jankowska

What kind of blander do you have the it screws directly onto the jar? Wow... 😲

• Jeanne Martin

I never knew that! Heck, I didn't even know that gasket thingie comes off the blender! Obviously I'm not a directions reader.

• DR.CATE

I have used this for the past 15 years and love it. When I married my husband he had a bunch of fishing that looked dirty but he said they were clean   they aren't yet but they will be when I', finished. When I hung them on hangers he could not believe how they looked. I usually make enough for a year.