Laundry Sauce – Easy Five Minute Laundry Soap Tutorial

I have been making my own laundry detergent for quite some time and I’m very happy with the cleaning power and the savings we enjoy from making it!
laundry sauce easy five minute laundry soap tutorial, cleaning tips, how to, laundry rooms
I have always used a streamlined version of that recipe which I’ll outline below. The only ingredients are Fels-Naptha soap, Super Washing Soda, Borax, Water, and optionally – essential oil for fragrance.
I already had 1/2 a bar of soap so I decided to only make one jar of Sauce. You’ll cut your 1/2 bar into small chunks like so…
Recipe:
Ingredients in your Laundry Sauce:
1/2 bar Fels-Naptha Soap
1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup Super Washing Soda
20-30 drops essential oil (optional)
Enough boiling water to fill the jar almost the rest of the way
Then you’ll scoop them up and put them in your mason jar.
The recipe I’m going to outline yields one quart jar – I wanted to see how I liked it, so I didn’t double it. But I definitely will next time!
You’ll put 1 1/2 cups boiling water into the jar and put the lid on. I cannot begin to describe how EXCITING this part was!!! NO GRATING THE SOAP AND MELTING IT DOWN – STIRRING ON THE STOVETOP!!! At this stage of the game I was feeling really hopeful – yet leery. How could this really work and be so easy? I just left it til the next day!
Add your 1/2 cup Borax and 1/2 cup Super Washing Soda. I also add my essential oils at this point. I use grapefruit and it doesn’t make the laundry actually smell like grapefruit but it’s a beautiful, fresh, crisp clean scent and I love it!
You’ll add enough boiling water to bring your Sauce mixture up to the point at which the jar just begins to narrow at the shoulder. (meaning the highest point on the jar that is still the widest width) I did blend and see there was more room than I thought in the jar so I added just a little more boiling water and blended again, but you don’t want to overload your jar by any means. Head space is important so you don’t end up with a mess on your hands.
Make sure when fitting your gasket and blade from your blender on the top of your jar that you line them up perfectly and that all pieces including your jar are clean and dry. You don’t want anything interfering with your seal.
This is where I had to take my lid back off and use my butter knife to loosen the soap from the bottom of the jar. The blending takes about 20 seconds on high! That’s it!
So easy and fast – I’m so excited to have an even more concentrated version of my original recipe. After a few days it does set up a bit. It’s still soft, but I just keep a Tablespoon in my laundry area and scoop a heaping Tbsp letting my washer water run it off the spoon. (and to save money, I wash in cold – always. I believe friction is the main cleaning agent and I’ve never been disappointed.
Do you make your own laundry detergent or sauce? Let us know :)
Laura's Little House Tips

3 questions on this project
  • Krisjna
    Jun 08, 2018

Are there any other product(s) I can use instead of Fels-Naptha soap?

• Felicia C Holder
      Jul 11, 2018

I’ve used regular bar soap before; Ivory, J&J bar baby soap, Dove, Safegaurd, etc... I like the change of smells it adds, lol. Some say you shouldn’t use bath soap, some say it’s fine, but basically it’s your personal opinion/choice. I have a front loader & I’ve never had any issue. ☺️

• Mari Suzuki
    May 22, 2018

Can I use a regular blender or electric mixer (not the big standing one but handheld kind) or stick blender? Your instructions seems to use ninja? Type of blender but I don’t want to buy any new equipment. Thanks.

• Sue
    Nov 08, 2017

How is this for front loader washing machine?

• If my son brings sweaty clothes from gym I do a prewash cycle without detergent and use 2 T of pet carpet cleaner for the shampooer, with enzymes. Or baby stain remover that you spray and leave. The main wash gets detergent and double rinse. Awesome results! No mildew smell in towels either! 😉

• Ant32126544
    Jan 20, 2018

Thank you! Sounds great and am going to give it a try in the near future. At 75 I'm more than willing to keep learning new things and trying new things. Saving a bit doesn't hurt either. Arm n hammer is my usual detergent anyway! Love that brand!!!