Gail--My Repurposed Life
Gail--My Repurposed Life
  • Louisville, KY

How to Turn a Door Into a Blanket Chest

You may think a hollow core door is practically useless when it comes to making a project, but if you have some patience and scrap wood, you can turn it into a blanket chest!
how to turn a door into a blanket chest, doors, how to, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
step 1
cut the door panels apart, using the long panels for the top, front, back and bottom. The smaller panels will be used to make the left and right side of the chest.
Using bar clamps will make assembly much easier.
(if you know about hollow core doors look once you cut them, you may notice that I have filled the areas with the scrap wood I was referring to earlier)
To cover up the raw edges of the hollow core door, I used scrap 1x's to "beef" up the design.
I love how the panels give the new chest/trunk a great look.
This gives you a better look of how the 1x's give a nice chunky look to the trunk/chest. I painted it with several coats of black.
For more details and other fun door projects, please visit MyRepurposedLife.com

Gail--My Repurposed Life

• Dat guy

This looks like a great idea for something I'm working on but can it bear weight? By that, I mean, can an adult sit on it?

• John Biermacher

I have done some chest out of solid door, but the one I did out of a hollow core the top needed reinforcement. When I cut the door the hollow center was exposed I added various thicknesses of scrap plywood coated gerously with gorilla glue to fill the hollow space. This made the top sturdy enough to sit on.

• Robyn

I love this idea!! Is the lid placed on top without hinges? It looks great!

• Theresa Shearer

This is beautiful!

• ShawnMarie

I like this idea. My sister is in Need of a trunk type item for her recent wedding. And I wanted to ask.....in your opinion does the door size matter?? Probably not, huh? J