Tom B
Tom B
  • Lady Lake, FL
Asked on Jan 6, 2012

Can anyone identify this plant seen in Southern California and advise whether is can be grown in Florida?

Tom BEva Kiefer-FerraraHana Smith
+27

If it can, where would be a likely place from which to get this plant?

Tom, I am 99 percent sure that is a euphorbia, possibly "Red Martin." It is said to be hardy from zones 6 to 9. You will probably have to do some mail-order browsing to find it. Plant Delights carries a number of euphorbias including "Red Rudolph," which seems to have less uniform red coloration than yours. Here is where I found "Red Martin," but they do not do mail order: http://nativeson.com/annotated_catalog/ecatalog.htm

• Erica Glasener

@ Douglas and Tom, yes it looks like a Euphorbia but I am fairly certain it is a Aeonium arboreum, check out this link to a write up in Fine Gardening magazine. Hardy to Zone 9, definitely worth a try in Florida http://www.finegardening.com/plantguide/aeonium-arboreum-zwartkop-black-rose.aspx

I think you are on the money, Erica. But if so, Tom, I think hardiness in Lady Lake would be dicey. You would definitely have to be prepared to give it some protection on nights like we've just had.

• Tom B

Thank you both. :-)

• Deborah C

I have one that I keep in my greenhouse. I just love the way they look. I just had to treat it for mealybugs. I bought mine from a vender @ my local farmers market.

• Doerr Landscape Design

Botanical Name: Aeonium arboreum 'Zwartkop' Very easy to grow in California, and take a frost . The Aeonium family is huge with so many different colors .

• Erica Glasener

thanks for confirming what I told Tom earlier this month. They are beautiful.

• Valerie

Erica is right - they are Aeonium arboreum. The rust colored one is 'Atropurpureum'. They are available in a kind of lime-green color, as well as the one in your photograph. If you can get a piece (with a stem) they root very easily so you should be able to propagate your own. Perhaps you could get one from Drought Smart Plants?

• Carole

Aenoium " Schwarzkopf" I have had these in my garden in the past and have two cuttings growing now. They go very black/chocolate colour in full sun and lime green in the centre. If they are in the shade, the colour is not so black. They are a type of succulent and easily propagated from a cutting/rosette or piece of the stem. They do send out roots from along the stems at various points into the ground and spread in that manner - self propagating. They do well in pots in a cacti/succulent mix and also in well drained soils.

• Carole

BTW, Schwarzkopf (or Zwartkopf as someone else here has used that spelling) is I think German for black head as the rosettes are almost black. Schwarz meaning black and kopf meaning head if I remember my high school German correctly.

• KT

black rose. we have them in our green house

• Kathy Echevarria

They grow in Florida and do better in the cooler months. I keep them in pots. They can get too wet etc. and then have a rapid demise.

• Jessie

I started with one small start now I have many, I just break off a branch and stick it in the soil here in California , they do better in shade.

• Rosanne Cannon-Schiedel

When you see succulents that you like, be a good gardener and touch it to admire, make sure no one is looking and steal or appropriate some of the leaves, stick in wet sand when you get home. It will root and then you replant. Always stop to admire succulents you like!

• Susan

Rosanne - The Camaro Family - Haha! Wow - you guys have FOUR of them? IMHO, the Camaro body design was so completely new and radical. There had never been anything like it before. I believe it was the first aerodynamic body design, two decades before people even used those words (like about the Audi in the 80s). It was, and continues to be, one of the most beautiful things on the road. This was mine:

q can anyone identify this plant seen in southern california and advise whether is can, gardening, 1967 first model year SS350 Oh did it purr
  • Kim keller

It's related to hens and chicks.

• Jessie

Thank you for the name I have had the plant for 5 yrs , I got it as a sample and never knew the name.

• Dayna Gibson

Don't pick the leaves off the succulents, but if you see some that have fallen off, I say "free game"!

• Dj31771879

succulant plant,come from a hotsandy humid state

• Judithcausey

We just bought one at Whole Foods in Cambridge, MA, this past wknd. Easy care succulent.

• Jessie

Likes partial shade in California ,I just break off a stem and plant it and they grow . I got my first plant as a small stem sample about 5 yrs ago and have shared dozens from that sample. They do not like frost.

• Kathy Echevarria

Yes. I have owned that plant but conditions in Florida make some succulents hard to grow. That was one I didn't succeed with.

• Brenda Webster

You're welcome, Jessie! It's a lovely plant!

• Hana Smith

Its an Echeveria, a succulent..

• Eva Kiefer-Ferrara

USC Riverside Botanical garden program can help with any type of plant you want to learn about....

• Tom B

Thank you.