LandlightS
LandlightS
  • Roswell, GA
Asked on Mar 27, 2013

Has anyone have any experience on a Magnetic Field to prevent "scale build up in Water Pipes" ?

Jhunt10LandlightSHome Repair Tutor
+4

I get weekly updates of products from Smarthome and this was included this week.
http://www.smarthome.com/92093/Trillium-Worldwide-TWI-5001-Mineral-Magnet-II/p.aspx
Does anyone think this actually does what it says?
Gary
  • KMS Woodworks

Nope....when I worked in the biotech world, we actually "treated" the water. Reverse osmosis, de-ionization, filtration, water softeners etc. waving a magnet over the pipe is not going to do diddly squat.

• Oddly enough this topic has come up a lot with some of my past clients. The magnetic field that flows into the water as it passes by is supposed to break down the particles in the water making it softer. Testing however proves this theory wrong. Hardness testing of water that is treated and not treated indicated the same amount of hardness. Also the benefits of soft water is not realized by better soap bubbles or less build up of materials on the faucets and rims of sinks and toilets. Bottom line they do not work. Proponents of this technology simply do not have sufficient evidence that these systems soften water as they claim.

• Home Repair Tutor

Thanks KMS and Woodbridge for commenting on this. I was wondering the same thing as Landlight :)

• LandlightS

Thanks guys.....I hate to say it, but this puts Smarthome in a new category, As a matter of fact, I'm going to copy these replys, send them to Smarthome and ask for their reply.

• Jhunt10

I don't have knowledge of the Smarthome product. However, I'm having the Aqua-Rex installed next week. If anyone has any experience with this product good or bad, please post. It's around 400.00 installed. www.aqua-Rex.com. I did not want the salt water conditioner system due to the extra sodium or to mess with the filter system: www.aquasana.com

• Jhunt10

I did have it installed,it seems to have reduced the scale buildup. However the water is still hard, just doesn't leave as much deposit. I may break down and install the aqua sana whole house filter system. I'm not very impressed.