Alex
Alex
  • Orlando, FL
Asked on Jan 6, 2012

Traveling roots?

Lisa HouseDouglas HuntAlex
+7

Hi! Been working on the lawn and discovered a few sizeable (1/2" to 1" thick) roots near the surface. Managed to trace them back some 30 to 40 feet to the shrubs & trees that line the edge of the lawn. Question: Can these be cut and, if so, how much? As always, many thanks.
  • 3po3

Can you tell us more about the trees and shrubs? Can you identify them, and how big are they?

I would also like to know what type of trees and shrubs are involved, but in general I would not be concerned about cutting some roots 30 or 40 feet away from a tree. On the other hand, if they are actually below the surface and not affecting the grass, why disturb things by removing them?

• Mike and Anne

I think an certified arborist would tell you to leave the the roots alone.

• Alex

Thanks, so much for your replies. A couple of pictures.

q traveling roots, gardening, landscapeq traveling roots, gardening, landscape
  • Mike N

Not to be contradictory (@Mike & Anne)........but a certified arborist is more likely to tell you how far from the root bulb or base of the tree it's ok to cut the roots, than to tell you not to at all. :-)

• Alex

Not at all!.......Like Dr. Phil often says, "No matter how thin you slice the pancake, there are always two sides" Appreciate your reply.

• 3po3

I have to agree with Doug. It doesn't look like you should do much harm cutting roots 40 feet from those plants, but I also don't see why you should take the risk if they aren't causing any problems.

• Alex

For now, I think I'll let them rest. Again, thanks for ALL your advice.

Alex, those roots definitely didn't come from your palms, and it seems highly unlikely there are 1 inch roots from shrubs of that size that far away. Without knowing exactly what plants they belong to, I think you've made the right decision to leave them be.

• Lisa House

Maybe they are coming from a neighbors yard.