Cathy F
Cathy F
  • Roswell, GA
Asked on Jan 6, 2012

When should I put down grub killer on newly sodded lawn?

Mike and AnneCheryl FFlowerscapes Garden Design & Landscaping
+1

I just resodded the play area at my daughter's preschool. In the process of tilling the area and laying the sod, I noticed a lot of grubs. I don't want the sod to be destroyed, so when should I put down the grub killer?
  • Mike and Anne

Cathy in North Carolina we apply a grub killer in mid to late summer when the grubs are feeding near the surface.

• If they are near or at the surface because of our warm weather, you might be able to do it now.

• Cheryl F

Rats, Mike and Anne - I missed that one! Is there another good time to apply it?

• Mike and Anne

If you see grubs that close to the surface go ahead and apply a grub killer now. For long term control, especially where children will be playing, it might be worth using Bt (Bacillus thurinenisis ?spelling) which will keep acting for 20 years or more to avoid using chemicals.