Make Thermal, Insulated Blackout Shades

$30

This project is an easy and cost-effective way to temporarily insulate your windows. We're loving these shades so far this winter. It's an excellent solution if your windows aren't that great but you can't replace them.
make thermal insulated blackout shades, how to, reupholster, window treatments, windows
(Note: For the tutorial, I'm working with a scaled-down version for ease of instruction. Our windows aren't this tiny, thankfully!)
You'll need three types of fabric: blackout fabric, insulated fabric, and regular fabric. Sew the blackout fabric and decorative fabric together with the right sides facing one another. Leave one side open and flip inside out.
Slide your insulating fabric in, then pin and sew the opening shut.
Here is my shade:
To learn more details about this project, you can check out the detailed tutorial at my blog linked below. You can also learn about how I hang and store the shades using no-hole solutions. Oh, and if you like this project, definitely check out my super easy tutorial for a baby blanket—if I can sew it, it only requires minimal sewing skills!

• Blackout material
  • Insulating fabric
  • Decorative fabric
Brittany @by Brittany Goldwyn

• Toni

I am inspired! As a graveyard shift nurse I need the lights out in the daytime. I cannot wait to try this. Nite-Nite.

• Colleen Schultz

I used black felt, sliced button holes in the top inch or so and then hung the felt using the 3M hooks. It was great for keeping out the light, when I needed or wanted I could simply lift the felt off the hooks and wham there was the daylight! Very easy, price was great, it was dark but there was no insulation factor.