Make Thermal, Insulated Blackout Shades

$30

This project is an easy and cost-effective way to temporarily insulate your windows. We're loving these shades so far this winter. It's an excellent solution if your windows aren't that great but you can't replace them.
(Note: For the tutorial, I'm working with a scaled-down version for ease of instruction. Our windows aren't this tiny, thankfully!)
You'll need three types of fabric: blackout fabric, insulated fabric, and regular fabric. Sew the blackout fabric and decorative fabric together with the right sides facing one another. Leave one side open and flip inside out.
Slide your insulating fabric in, then pin and sew the opening shut.
Here is my shade:
To learn more details about this project, you can check out the detailed tutorial at my blog linked below. You can also learn about how I hang and store the shades using no-hole solutions. Oh, and if you like this project, definitely check out my super easy tutorial for a baby blanket—if I can sew it, it only requires minimal sewing skills!

By Brittany Goldwyn

• Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

Great idea, just one thing. If you “sandwich” blackout and regular fabric, can also put your insulating layer on top and sew all layers at once. Just need to trim excess and corners. Then turn right side out and stitch closed.

• Margaret Mauriello

Where can you purchase the insulating fabric by the yard. I want to make for patio doors?

• Cathy Landslide

Warm Window insulated fabric is available at Joann’s Fabrics and online. It is the whole sandwich of insulated fabric - all you have to do is cover it with your choice of fabric. It’s awesome and saves a ton on heating and cooling bills.

• Tina goodman

Does it cost more to make them or buy them

• Tanne

Hamricks of gaffney sc black out panels $12.99 per pk of 2.

• MaryAnn

I make insulated, light blocking drapes from quilted bedspreads 1 Twin Spread per standard casement window. Fold over the top then make an over sized rod pocket (so they slide easily over the rod, hem the bottom after cut to length. Made tie backs & draft blockers from the leftover materials. Sewed everything

by machine. They wash and dried perfectly & repeatedly at the laundromat were still in great shape after 13 years of use. I did line them with twin sheets in the same color. Landlord didn't like the white backing, but that's optional.

• Dfm

Check the cost of “warm window” fabric verses the layers of fabrics.