Kristin Crankshaw
Kristin Crankshaw
  • Springfield, OH
Asked on Mar 29, 2013

Water loving perennials?

Susan Stodola360 Sod (Donna Dixson)Douglas Hunt
+3

I have a flower border all along my inner fence row in the backyard. However, one area sits in a low spot. No matter how much I try to raise it with soil, it flattens out and floods in the spring. I have a really tough time getting anything to grow here. Does anyone know of any perennials that can withstand heavy water????
  • Jayme

Native Iris love the water. Blue Flag is in Michigan and there is also a Louisianna version as well. In Michigan we find them a lot along river banks.

Here's a list of plants from the Morton Arboretum of plants, including perennials, that are happy in wet sites. Those that will take an extended period of flooding are indicated by an asterisk: http://www.mortonarb.org/tree-plant-advice/article/853/plants-tolerant-of-wet-sites.html

• Kristin Crankshaw

Thank you all for the great info!

Happy planting!

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

for a ground cover you can use creeping jenny. I always enjoy twig dogwoods, (though a shrub and not a perennial.) in wet situations. Brass Black Buttons is a cutie for wet areas too. Crocosmia will also fare pretty well in a moist environment You could use horsetail, but it might become invasive. .

• Susan Stodola

You didn't say how big of an area you are dealing with and for how long it is wet. Would it be possible to actually nake a little pond? Or perhaps line the area with rocks to fasilitate the run off and use the area to stage some cute water resistant lawn ornaments.