Paper Lantern Snowman Craft

I had kind of hoped for a white Christmas while I was visiting Oklahoma this year but as it turned out we rode a go kart around the yard without coats instead :) It's amazing how when I had snow every year I never once considered stepping out in it to make a snowman but as soon as I know I won't be able to, that's when I decide I really need to. I headed out to the craft store and grabbed a package of white paper lanterns and a snowman "kit" and made my own that can withstand the occasional 80 degree winter day here!
Maybe you're smarter than me but it took me ages to figure out how to put the paper lanterns together the first time. They don't come with directions because they area apparently that easy :)
After a few projects with them I finally figured it out (better late than never!) - The metal form slips inside of the lantern. On one side the hole is smaller than the other and that is the bottom. The larger side will have 2 metal circles and when you slip the metal form in those little "kitty ear" parts on the top fit neatly in those circles. The thing in the center is the hanger.
I had planned on purchasing buttons and beads and polymer clay to make a carrot nose but surprisingly found a snowman kit. Now I know nobody around here is making them with snow so I kind of wonder how everybody else down here used theirs!
Hot glue met with my wood bits and beads to make the face on the smallest lantern and then again on the middle section for a row of blue buttons.
The lanterns were slid together...
...and wooden laundry clothespins were used to hot glue the two pieces together (and weight down the back side so that the face didn't tip forward).
After all were connected a piece of felt was wrapped around the neck. I cut hole into the top of a felt hat and ran a pipe cleaner through the lantern hanger to hang my cutie at the kitchen table.
It may not have been a white Christmas, but I sure as heck have a snowman hanging around this winter!
I hope you'll check out my blog for more directions, ideas and photographs!
http://www.dreamalittlebigger.com/post/paper-lantern-snowman-tutorial.html

Allison Murray

• DJ

Love this idea. I love Snowman also and have a hanging plant hook on the back porch where this will be going next Christmas. Thanks for sharing...soooooooooooo cute.

• Hannah V

I can't handle how cute he is!!