Cindy Hagemann
Cindy Hagemann
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Kingsport, TN

Boot Storage DIY

$0

This was a prototype that my hubby and I came up with to store my boots. It is not pretty but does the trick! Made with things we already had around the workshop: 2" diameter PVC pipes, dowel rod (cut in 4" pieces for support under the PVC rods), heavy block wood scraps and a piece of carpet on the bottom (optional) for it to slide in my closet.

Grow Vegetable Garden

Too many clothes and not enough closet space?

We got your back with our closet decluttering workshop!

Tell me more!
boot storage diy pvc pipes, organizing, storage ideas, woodworking projects

How we made this: (1) Cut circles in the block of wood with a spade bit (you can see this one above we put too many holes in the wood - the boots would not fit, too close together). Cut the holes 2" so that your PVC pipe will fit snug inside of it - over the dowel rod.

(2) Put in a 4 inch long dowel rod (not shown), 2" or less, and fasten it to the base board with screws to the bottom of the board. The purpose of the dowel rod is to support the PVC pipe, you cannot see it in the photo but the PVC is slipped over the top of the dowel rod and fastened with screws for support.

(3) Cut PVC pipes about 17" , slide them over top of the dowel rods (not shown) and attach them to the dowel rods with screws on the sides. The dowels provide that extra support needed when the boots are put on.

(4) Then just spray painted them, but you can leave them white.

(5) We added carpet to bottom of each to slide easier on the wood floor in my closet. I have several of these and they make it easy to find my numerous boots in my closet.

You can see the PVC pipes and wood block in this photo.

Top of the PVC pipes - cut to fit the boots on top of them, the PVC is fastened to the base with the dowel rods that are fastened to the base and the PVC slides over the top.

Does your closet give you anxiety in the morning?

NEW: closet decluttering workshop, powered by Hometalk

• Ruth

Could you use pool noodles or aren't they strong enough?

• Rachael

I use pool noodles in my boots and booties it helps keep the shape. Especially when traveling or moving. I like the idea of of having the stand along with the noodles. Could even be attached to a wall.

Thanks for the awesome idea!

• Sherry Wells

Love this idea but what is the dowel rod for?

• Jennifer Roysdon

(I had to go back and reread it to find the answer too. :) )

• Jennifer Roysdon

Great solution! (I use a multi skirt hanger and clip my boots to it because I'm not allowed near power tools... Just call me Accidental Grace)

But let's get to the important questions... Where did you get the boots with the buckle sides??

• Phyllis

Who needs it to be pretty? It's covered with pretty boots. Great idea!

• Delores

Hoping to get spouse to do this!