Cindy Hagemann
Cindy Hagemann
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Kingsport, TN

Boot Storage DIY

$0

This was a prototype that my hubby and I came up with to store my boots. It is not pretty but does the trick! Made with things we already had around the workshop: 2" diameter PVC pipes, dowel rod (cut in 4" pieces for support under the PVC rods), heavy block wood scraps and a piece of carpet on the bottom (optional) for it to slide in my closet.
boot storage diy pvc pipes, organizing, storage ideas, woodworking projects
How we made this: (1) Cut circles in the block of wood with a spade bit (you can see this one above we put too many holes in the wood - the boots would not fit, too close together). Cut the holes 2" so that your PVC pipe will fit snug inside of it - over the dowel rod.
(2) Put in a 4 inch long dowel rod (not shown), 2" or less, and fasten it to the base board with screws to the bottom of the board. The purpose of the dowel rod is to support the PVC pipe, you cannot see it in the photo but the PVC is slipped over the top of the dowel rod and fastened with screws for support.
(3) Cut PVC pipes about 17" , slide them over top of the dowel rods (not shown) and attach them to the dowel rods with screws on the sides. The dowels provide that extra support needed when the boots are put on.
(4) Then just spray painted them, but you can leave them white.
(5) We added carpet to bottom of each to slide easier on the wood floor in my closet. I have several of these and they make it easy to find my numerous boots in my closet.
You can see the PVC pipes and wood block in this photo.
Top of the PVC pipes - cut to fit the boots on top of them, the PVC is fastened to the base with the dowel rods that are fastened to the base and the PVC slides over the top.

• CrazyClock

Could you show us a picture of it actually working, please? :D We always like to see projects in use!

• CrazyClock

Ah. Seriously, no pictures boots were showing up for me two days ago! [Mac/Chrome] NOW I see them (3 hour system update last night, argh) :D I just see so many articles that are missing things and I'm sorry I assumed this one wasn't complete, either. I'm going to start taking screenshots to prove 1) I'm not crazy, or 2) I am crazy, lol.

My apologies!

• Seedpath

what keeps the whole block of standing boots from simply falling over---it looks very top-heavy?

• Judith

What is the necessity of a dowel plus the pvc pipe?

• MelMel

What great ideas, both the PVC pipes and the pool noodles. Sharing with friends now.

• Ann Lewis

Yes I am definitely going to try this project. But am going to modify just a bit. I am going to put caps on the pvc pipe because I am going to use this for our winter boots that may be damp from the snow. I am going to try and use my plastic tray that we put our boys on to collect water from snow. I am excited to try this. Thanks for the wonderful idea