Alex
Alex
  • Orlando, FL
Asked on Jan 7, 2012

Queen Palms - Trim or "let nature do its thing" ..If trim, when?

AlexDoerr Landscape DesignDouglas Hunt
+3

Several mature trees over 25' tall.
  • Yes Alex, the yellowing and browning fronds should be trimmed as if not they will hang down and be unsightly. I have many of them in my yard and when I trim them I aways just stand there and admire them as it is a clean fresh look. In my designs the landscaping is purposely designed to help keep the house the star of the show.Yollow or brown large hanging fronds are a distraction to the eye and takes away from the design as a whole. I often will use them in groupings in the center of a circle drive and under plant with Loropetalum, Gold Mound Duranta,Blue Plumbago,and Drift Roses. These plants attract butterflies and its such a welcomeing site to drive home to. Our homes are our nest, they should be kept colorful,clean, neat and happy!

• Alex

Thank you, Garden Rebel, for your advice and suggestions.

I agree completely about keeping your palms neat and trimmed, Alex. But some people definitely take this too far. I always tell people never to trim palm foliage above a 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock horizon line.

• Alex

I'm too "aged" to "take this too far"!!!!! Thanks Douglas.

• Doerr Landscape Design

call a tree service , In California the Queen Palms are always trimmed

• Alex

Will consider......Lets see........16 trees........range 25' to 33' tall......$ ? Thanks for the suggestion.