Jo F
Jo F
  • Durham, NC
Asked on Jan 8, 2012

film on headlights?

3po3Jo FEddie C
+9

My car is 11 years old and the headlight covers have become very dull and diminish visibility when driving at night. Does anyone know if anything can be done to get rid of the film on the covers? Thanks!
  • EJ F

If you go to your local auto parts store, there are several "kits" you can buy that are reasonable. I have done this with a few of my cars and they work well.

• Eddie C

A lot of body shops will offer headlight restoration for not much more than the cost of the repair kits. Especially if you have to buy multiple kits to find the best one.

• Angela M

The restoration kits works great and not that expensive we used it on our second vehicle and it was 12 yrs old and it helped tremendously and we put very bright lights in also afterwards worth every penny! This is the vehicle my son will use (: Momma gets the newer one lol

• 3po3

I agree with Eddie. Even a specialty mechanic for your car make should be able to do this for a pretty reasonable price. We did this for a 14-year-old Subaru at a local Subie specialist, and it made a big difference. I think it was better than the DIY kit would have been, from what I have seen.

• EJ F

WOW - I just always assume the pros are more expensive than doing it urself. U learn something new every day - Thanks!

• 3po3

The pros are definitely more expensive, but not too much more, I think.

• Eddie C

I know that the best kit out there involves a power drill, sanding and polishing. And I've seen shops doing the work for as low as $50, but not over $100. Some of these headlamps are $800+, and you wouldn't want to damage that with a power drill?

• Jo F

Thanks for all the good input. My local service station will charge $100 - sounding pretty good to me.

• Jo F

Had this done and results are remarkable - vast improvement when driving at night - well worth the $100!

• 3po3

That's great. Can I ask what kind of car you drive? I know Subarus are notorious for this problem, but curious what others might be out there.

• Jo F

I drive a 2000 Lexus. I've noticed the film on lots of other models, too.

• 3po3

Good to know. My parents have a Lexus about the same vintage. I will keep this in mind if they mention the same problem.