Sharleen Wolfe
Sharleen Wolfe
  • Australia

Faux Azul Copper Table Top Tutorial

This was great fun. More of an experiment in how messing I can get. After researching many pictures of copper patina. I came up with the theory that there was so many differences in copper that I couldn't possibly go wrong. So here goes. No fear and the start on my new year. It's all about the fun .
"Let's get started". Always wanted to say that. !! He he I watch too many DIY videos. This is what you'll need . Copper , gold, rust coloured spray paint and a clear sealer. PLUS. Gold Rub n buff.. Three different turquoise or green DIY chalk paints. Only a very little need. Sponge, brushes and plastic bags .
After a lite sanding. I spray painted this Queen Anne style coffee table with the copper paint.
Once that was dry. I sprayed patches of gold paint but immediately removed the gold with a crumpled up plastic bag. This leaves a fantastic mottled look.
After the spray paint was dry. I sponged on the turquoise in random patterns starting with the light, medium and the darkest colour last. Leaving to dry over night.
The next day I added a little bit of even darker blue scrubbing and blending in small spots. And some teeny sprays of the rust colour.
Then I made a colour wash with the medium turquoise. Painted that on and rubbed it off in places to reveal the copper accents peeking through. This is where I thought Of adding more highlights. So a little Rub n buff to some spots and the edges . Last but not least was to seal with my clear spray. And done. I'm so loving this. I want to do another.
Amber Love the little hiding spot.

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.977813365612573.1073742065.501388179921763&type=3

• 62q10370829

Will this work on medal like cans that cookies & popcorn come in?
    • Kym

Absolutely will! Just make sure the paint you purchase covers metal and plastic. Krylon is fantastic for this type of task and comes in a lot of colors, even hammered metal finishes! They have a hammered bronze that is a good color to start with, then add the coppers, blues and greens for oxidation. Works on all kinds of projects.
  • Flo27400697

Do you think this would work on countertops as long as it's sealed
    Well? Beth Anderson, Albuquerque, NM

• Robyn Garner

This should work as long as you prep the existing countertops well. I would then get an excellent base coat (I used one from Sherwin Williams for metal and all materials). You can get an "oops" can as it won't end up showing.

THen, follow the copper instructions but you'll need to ventilate the kitchen well and cover EVERYTHING so the spray doesn't get on it. Finally, use a food safe poly. I think I must have put about 4-5 coats of poly over my faux granite countertops and they lasted for years!

Have fun! 😎

• Sharon

I’m looking at the second step and like that look. It looks almost brownish/gold But is hard to tell with the lighting. Can you describe the color better please? Thank you. Sharon

• Joanie

The look is gorgeous... .....it looks like the beautiful sky to me.

• Eliza

Oh this is Cool ! See so many throw outs road side this month ! Thinking well sand and varnish or what...I am a Civil War history buff and can picture a great artist rendering of a Civil War event or Generals Soldiers and horses rendered atop the copper & silver backdrop ... I am an artist & my fingers are getting really itchy with this idea ... either treat it as a coffee table or take off the the table top do the spray & artwork drill for bolts and put screws antique looking drawer pulls to hang finished product on wall or do all as a coffee table but finish with multi layered acrylic over artwork to protect ultimate kitschyness ... Nobody will like this except me too bad ... Cannot do everything in a sketchbook...Yey !!!

🐎Charged To Go

Eliza 🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹