Robyn
Robyn
  • Phoenix, AZ
Asked on Mar 30, 2013

I found ants in my container garden

RobynJeanette SEq4bits
+8

They sneak into the kitchen, but I just "give them a little bath" or finger squish one at a time. I don't want to spray. I just did some research and it looks like they can cause aphids. I don't want to do anything chemical, and I really don't want to kill anything, just invite them to LEAVE. So far I have sprinkled coffee grounds on the dirt underneath them, but what do I do INSIDE the pots. DOUG, BARB ROSEN, anyone else have any ideas for something natural. Thank you!
  • KMS Woodworks

Rather than use a "chemical spray" you can use some "bait traps" like these http://www.amazon.com/Ant-Killer-Terro-Liquid-Baits/dp/B001HWZ85M I have a few clients that have had great results with them.

Robyn, ants do not cause aphids. There is a symbiotic relationship between some species of ants and aphids in which ants protect the aphids on the plants they are found on so the ants can eat the "honeydew" the aphids produce. You could try sprinkling diatomaceous earth around your containers. Make sure you use horticultural grade, not the DE for swimming pools.

• Robyn

ohhhhh, I get it now. Thanks for answering Doug. Question, shall I also sprinkle some of the DE in the pots I see the ants in? I mixed up some Dr Bronner's last night, haven't used it yet. And will the DE hurt my dog if she digs in it?

• Debbie Borthwick

@Robyn , horticultural DE is not harmful to pets. Basically, it kills insects by 'coating' their bodies and dehydrating them. Yes, you can add it to your pots.

• Robyn

Thanks so much Debbie, I will definitely get some then

• Lori J

Just read a pinterest post suggesting a sprinkling of cornmeal. They eat it and it does not agree with them. ;-)

• Robyn

now that my dog would eat, guarantee! Thanks Lori- an ant cornmeal "allergy" ;)

• Eq4bits

bay leaves.... Totally natural chemical free.... Just put them out on counters, cabinets or windows ills or in your case you could just lay a couple on the soil surface of your container

• Robyn

wow, so easy, thanks Eq4bits

• Jeanette S

One of the quickest ways to get rid of ants is to spray them with glass cleaner! It is non toxic and stops them in their tracks. My friend was told by her exterminator that the first ants you see in your kitchen are the "scouts". Get rid of these so the colony cannot follow their trail that was left. Ever since I learned that, I use it when I see ants. I take everything off the counter, spray the ants and all of the counter and then I don't see them again. Works every time. I was sweeping off the front porch the other day, saw ants, sprayed with glass cleaner and zap...gone!

• Robyn

thank you Jeanette, I bet that helps a lot of us :)