DIY Beach Sand Vases

419K Views
UPDATE: To address the many concerns about the illegal removal of sand from beaches, please note I did not break any "local" laws! BUT in a lot of locations this is indeed forbidden so it's best to purchase sand at a local hardware store for this project.
Do you love beach decor items but not the price tag at some of the fancy souvenir stores? I have an easy solution, that is if you have access to a small amount of sand from a nearby beach. You can make customized beach decor for your home with sand, food coloring and a vase, it's easy peasy!
First I sifted with a simple kitchen utensil, I wanted the larger particles out of the sand and use only the finest for my project.
Next I added drops of food coloring to the sand and mixed in until I got the desired color I wanted.
  • diy beach sand vases, crafts
Below are some of the colors I came up with along with the naturally red sand from Prince Edward Island which is very different from our natural colored sand.
  • diy beach sand vases, crafts
Next I added a recycled food can inside the vase upside down which saved the amount of sand I'd need to fill it, but it also acted as a base to put the candle on. The black sand came from another item that I recycled to add another color to the vase. I rolled a sheet of paper to use as a funnel to pour in the different layers in a wavey pattern.
The last layer was a Michael's bag of gold stones to add a different texture to the look and lastly the candle was put in place.
  • diy beach sand vases, crafts
I was on a roll and created several of these to give as gifts to friends! This one has the rust colored PEI sand and my province, Newfoundland which is the gray sand.
  • diy beach sand vases, crafts
Red sand from a recycled craft and the natural gray along with black pebbles and a candle. This vase I etched the names of a newly married couple onto as a gift for their new home.
  • diy beach sand vases, crafts
This style I put the recycled food can in with an opening at the top so it could be used as a vase for florals or as a candle holder.
  • diy beach sand vases, crafts
It has the black, natural gray and a rose shade that I mixed up. The options are endless what you can create, go ahead and have fun is the main part! I did...perhaps too much!!! Ha-hah!
  • diy beach sand vases, crafts

Suggested materials for this project: