Allison Murray
Allison Murray
  • Brownsville, TX

2 Ingredient Carpet Deodorizer

I have dogs and that means that my home doesn't always smell like roses. Today, in fact, I am sitting here typing while smelling eau de wet dog. I wouldn't keep this cutie off of my feet for the life of me, though!
Since I have pets but I want a house that smells nice I like to use lots of "smell goods" including carpet deodorizer. It's hardly an expensive thing to buy at the store BUT I can show you how
2 ingredient carpet deodorizer, cleaning tips
I actually made this carpet deodorizer for my Momma and she is in love with the scent of lemongrass. It's such a clean smell I can see why she digs it.
The process of this is really simple. Grab baking soda and fill a mason jar.
Dump the baking soda into a bowl and add your fave scent of essential oil and mix well. P.S. A larger bowl that this is a much better idea but once I start something, even if I messed up, I'm too stubborn and committed to change the plan :)
This fabulous mason jar accessory is actually a cocktail shaker!
Sprinkle a bit of your gorgeous smell onto the carpet (no worries about the essential oil as there is such a tiny amount inside) and allow it to sit for a while before vacuuming up and your home will smell wonderful!
Quick tip for another fab use, you can sprinkle a small amount in the bottom of your trash cans (beneath the plastic bag) and it will help keep slightly smelly garbage in check!
I hope you'll check out the full post with full details on my blog to answer any questions you might have! http://www.dreamalittlebigger.com/post/2-ingredient-carpet-deodorizer.html
Allison Murray

• Carol

Could cinnamon be used instead of the oil???

• Elizabeth Smith

Where did you get the top with holes that fit your jar(shaker top)

• Kauai Breeze

I bought mind at a craft store. I use it as a shaker to mix flour and water to make gravy (it has a lid to go over the holes). There are a lot of different accessory tops for mason jars.

• Paula Silva

Can we use this on sofas, too?

• Taun P.

I use this Carpet freshner w/lemongrass too. 😊 I wantedd something to freshen the carpet after cleanup from a water leak & make sure no mold or mildew would grow. I read an article that said baking soda is good for that. I had an empty spice container so I used it for the shaker top although it was plastic. It's small so I make a new batch each time I want to treat the carpet which is 2x a month. And I don't have to worry about the oils causing chemicals to leech from the plastic to the mixture since I'm not storing the mixture in the container.

• Wendy Torode

Thanks that is helpful.