Jennifer Lifford
Jennifer Lifford
  • Canada

How to Safely Clean an Oven

Oven cleaners can be one of the most toxic chemical cleaners on the market. These green cleaners can still do a great job and are a safe and healthy alternative.
My oven was already in need of a cleaning and then I dumped some vanilla all over the bottom {If you place a tbsp of vanilla in the oven for 20 minutes it makes the kitchen smell wonderful - just don't spill it!}
Make a paste of baking soda and water and spread it over the entire oven.  Let sit for an hour to overnight.  Then wipe it clean.  {You can also spray some vinegar over it once it has dried for some extra cleaning power}
Make a paste of baking soda and water and spread it over the entire oven. Let sit for an hour to overnight. Then wipe it clean. {You can also spray some vinegar over it once it has dried for some extra cleaning power}
And then you have a nice clean oven!
And then you have a nice clean oven!
Jennifer Lifford

• Jeannie Carle

ovencleaner --- my oven has the element on the bottom - will this harm it if it gets on the element??

• Bjs7787661

doubtful .... using store-bought oven cleaner gets on all elements; just (wipe/wash) it off as you finish cleaning your oven.

• V Nichols

It doesn't effect it. Considering that you use baking soda to put out a grease fire on your burners and it doesn't hurt them, it's the same coils in side the oven. So, no worry of coil deterioration.

• Kitty

Baking soda can make a stove top fire flare up even more! I keep a big box of salt near the stove on the cupboard, and sprinkle that all over the fire. It works instantly and safer!

• V Nichols

Baking soda doesn't cause a fire to flare up, that is misinformation. You can use it on small grease fires, as it gives off carbon dioxide when it burns and suffocates a fire. This is per the fire dept suggestions for putting out a small grease fire. But, again, baking soda won't damage your coils

• Gordon R-l Settlemyre

Kitty, it's baking powder that will cause a fire to flare up, due to it being so fine. V Nichols is correct, baking soda is inert, will not burn and is actually used in certain extinguishers for fire fighting purposes, 30+ years on the job as a firefighter, numerous years teaching children and adults alike about the two differences. P.S. you should keep a lid the correct size of the pan you cook with to help control a flare up, much more effective, just cover, turn off heat and let sit, it will smother itself out. Possibly saving the meal altogether. Reference the burner element, just wipe it clean, preheat the oven once prior to cooking in it the next time.

• Joseph

hometalk
  • Terry

I have a glass top stove, I cook large meals every day of the week, and it def gets dirty! The oven also! The absolute best trick I found that is easy on the lungs is spray some White vinegar, and sprinkle with baking soda then spray some peroxide on it on rub it in, or wipe it off if it’s not to dirty! I found this on Pinterest, and I never thought my stove top could look this good!