JoAnn Reeves
JoAnn Reeves
  • Anderson, SC
Asked on Mar 31, 2013

entertainment center

Jeanette SMary Insana

I purchased kitchen base cabinets to use as an entertainment center in my den. How or what can I do to make them look more like entertainment center? They will cover an entire wall in my den. They are oak looking stock cabinets from Home Depot. Help please
  • Jeanette S

One suggestion is paint them. Take off a couple of the doors and make shelves for components. Entertainment centers have raised shelving and hanging shelving. I bought a large entertainment cabinet and the TV sat too low for my bed. I had my guys get some press board and make a shelf to raise it. This was done by making a 3-sided "U" box to size, turning it upside down and setting in inside the cabinet. I had them paint it black so it would disappear inside the cabinet. Attached are some photos of both.

entertainment center, painted furniture, There was one that was in the red cabinet when I bought it I needed another one Painted it black so it would disappear under the TV This one can just set inside no attachmentsentertainment center, painted furniture, This shelf hangs in the top of another TV cabinet and came in the unit This one can be installed before a top is attached
  • Mary Insana

This is something I did in our dining room with unfinished stock cabinets from Home Depot. You could do a shelf below the big opening for your components. I have electrical outlets inside the first cabinets on the sides and have openings on the sides for the cords of the lamps to come through,

entertainment center, painted furniture
  • Jeanette S

Mary I, what a great job! I love the tile to hold hot food without having to use trivets! With a home entertainment setup, a desk would be great too! Were I younger, I would get rid of my big hutch and do built ins like this...it would be so much more servicable...I would even add one of those wine racks on one end, maybe even a small sink...unlimited possibilities!