Clawfoot tub to Chaise Lounge

Advanced

Of course I have seen Breakfast at Tiffanys and my hat goes off to the original tub couch creator! However, I of COURSE have to add my spin!I though long and hard about simply taking the front out to make it a love seat, but .. then .. when do I do things the simple way? It needed that added flare and I am re finishing a clients bedroom to feel french, so it was a MUST to have curves. Voila the new Chaise for her master bedroom bay window! First and Foremost - do NOT TRY CUTTING OR WORKING WITH THIS unless you have proper protective equipment on! Glasses AND masks are a MUST!!!!!! Not only do you have to deal with potential lead in the paint, but also glass infused, fired on porcelain and chips flying everywhere! Very messy job! - Now - on to the fun part! I have been waiting three years to find the perfect tub! I found this one at our local Habitat for Humanity Re-store. I plotted my design early to match with a theme I was doing in a clients Master Bedroom. She had asked to find a sitting bench or something for her Bay Window * DING DING DING* I finally have a reason to make the Chaise I wanted to do. I worked on cutting the tub forever with a grinder as I was told plasma cutting was to hard on Cast .... it was pretty easy, however very time consuming, so I sourced it out after I got the initial trial over with. If I had more time to poke away at it I would have, but too many things were piling up! Then the work involved came. It took forever to figure out how to smoothe the chips from the cutting, but upon talking to some local car boys and metal workers, the idea of bondo came up! Might as well give it a go! And it worked! paint paint paint and add fabric and ta daaaaaaaaaaa! BUENO! There is a full album being uploaded right now to my Facebook page at http://www.gypsybarn.com. Come join the fun!
clawfoot tub to chaise lounge, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, The finished look Added the French themed fabric to add that tie together feel for the entire room There is a full album being uploaded right now to my Facebook page at Come join the fun
The finished look. Added the French themed fabric to add that tie together feel for the entire room.
clawfoot tub to chaise lounge, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, A nice little compilation shot ideal for pinners There is a full album being uploaded right now to my Facebook page at Come join the fun
A nice little compilation shot ideal for pinners. There is a full album on my blog below.
clawfoot tub to chaise lounge, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, Taking off the old flaky paint before priming and adding bondo
Taking off the old flaky paint before priming and adding bondo.
clawfoot tub to chaise lounge, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, Well it didnt go Audrey Hepburn but alittle Marilyn Monroe action sure did happen during the random fun photo shoot I thought oh what more fun way to show off DIY GRRRRRL power than to be in a party dress high heels and sparks
Well, it didn't go Audrey Hepburn, but a little Marilyn Monroe action sure did happen during the random fun photo shoot! I thought - oh what more fun way to show off DIY GRRRRRL power than to be in a party dress high heels and sparks!
clawfoot tub to chaise lounge, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, Smoothed down with Bondo added There is a full album being uploaded right now to my Facebook page at Come join the fun
Smoothed down with Bondo added! There is a full album being uploaded right now to my Facebook page at http://www.gypsybarn.com. Come join the fun!
clawfoot tub to chaise lounge, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, Adding a kickstand to the back of the tub just to make sure it doesnt tip from being weighted on one end Thanks to Mark from Iron Craft for making me some custom iron curvy little kickstands
Adding a kickstand to the back of the tub, just to make sure it doesn't tip from being weighted on one end. Thanks to Mark from Iron Craft for making me some custom iron curvy little kickstands!
clawfoot tub to chaise lounge, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, Cutting cast iron coated in fired on porcelain is not a clean easy job it cracks and chips the finish and the only way I could come up with filling that in since smoothing it out didn t work was to use bondo for cars And it worked
Cutting cast iron coated in fired on porcelain is not a clean easy job.. it cracks and chips the finish and the only way I could come up with filling that in since smoothing it out  didn't work was to use bondo for cars. And it worked
clawfoot tub to chaise lounge, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, Full coats of paint Now to move on to the cushion and fabric My least fav part Fabric and I never see eye to eye
Full coats of paint. Now to move on to the cushion and fabric. My least fav part. Fabric and I never see eye to eye!
clawfoot tub to chaise lounge, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, Now I took this shot before I painted it to show the colour variations and option for futre pieces but this colour combo didn t fit well with the grand makeover of the bedroom I am working on
Now I took this shot before I painted it to show the colour variations and option for futre pieces, but this colour combo didn't fit well with the grand makeover of the bedroom I am working on.

To see more: http://www.gypsybarn.com

• Teresa

My heart broke when I saw you destroy an antiques claw foot tub - It turned out beautifuly though.

• Sca28427274

My mother had a claw foot bathtub when I was growing up. If I knew I could do something so cool with it I would have asked my mom to hold on to it. This is so cool, I love it, I'm going to look for one and try this. It is so Beautiful. Good job!!