Marilyn B
Marilyn B
  • Manassas, VA
Asked on Apr 1, 2013

What is this growing in certain parts of my front, side and back yard.

DebbieMarilyn BDebbie Borthwick
+3

I moved in my home last year April. This year I am seeing a purple like flower in certain areas in the front, side and back yard. What is it? It gives me the creeps.
what is this growing in certain parts of my front side and back yard, flowers, gardening
  • Kimberly Barney

I do not know the name of it. It is considered a weed. In most cases, it burns off once it gets consistantly warm.

• S137

This is purple deadnettle, (also known as red deadnettle), Lamium purpureum. Despite its name, purple deadnettle does not sting. In our yard, purple deadnettle thrives in and among the chickweed, in areas that are moist. Our goats at Muddy Hill Farm love to eat it.

what is this growing in certain parts of my front side and back yard, flowers, gardening, Here is purple deadnettle growing among daffodil leaves

I had lots of this every spring in my New York garden. It's a pretty common weed.

• Debbie Borthwick

And garden centres sell it! Mostly as a perennial but also as an annual filler for baskets & containers. It's usually the variegated kind that is popular, but it is definitely a perennial...specifically a very invasive weed.

• Marilyn B

Thank you all for your feed back, I have noticed this weed around the metro station in another community. I have since pulled them out of my front and back yard.

• Debbie

Henbit is all I've ever heard it called. I have learned to tolerate it, mostly because I am fighting a losing battle trying to get rid of it. Besides, honey bees like its flowers along with all this clover in my yard. I need to put up a sign that says "wild flower plot".