Becky (J) P
Becky (J) P
  • Highland, IL
Asked on Apr 2, 2013

Pampas grass

BBecky (J) PDouglas Hunt

I have a method of trimming back the pampas grass for spring, but I was wondering if there are any better ways to do it besides burning it. Burning is out of the question because it is by the pool. I use hedge trimmers to cut back.
The good thing about the grass is I then reuse it as straw in the veg garden.

I think it's easiest to prune big grasses if you tie them up first, Becky. Your hedge trimmers or lopping shears sound like the best tool for the job. Of course, in the case of pampas grass you need to make sure you're wearing long gloves and a sturdy coat because the blades of grass are so sharp and can easily cut you. (So I'm surprised you are able to use it as straw in your vegetable garden.)

• Becky (J) P

Thanks Doug. I do tie it up so it is easier to transport over to the "pile". I had to have my husband help this year because they have gotten so big. And yes, I do have scratches! Last year, after I cut it down, I cut it into about 2 feet sections and spread it around the veggies. I was starting to get worried when the husband helped, because he said the word "chainsaw" to me. lol

• B

Becky, I use the hedge trimmers too. I love Douglas' suggestion of tying it first! Mine is a miniature type, so it's easier to handle, but tying it would make it easier to cut!