Built-in Kitchen Wall Shelves!

$75

I spent my winter vacation building these shelves into the wall of my little kitchen. It's a fun project if you're looking to upgrade your kitchen and have a couple days to burn.
Finished!
Now its time to fill this bad boy up!
My wife had an idea of what she wanted on each shelf, so I measured accordingly.
I stained some thin grainy plywood for the back of the shelves and then waxed the whole thing with teak.
I went with one coat of a black and brown mixture and then lightly sanded it for a distressed look.
I cut a "molding" type pattern in the wall and used the scrap wood from the wall to cut more pieces. The trim is cedar wood I bought for the shelving.
Found you guys! The opposite side of this wall is your everyday drywall. The side you see is plywood. I used a jigsaw, a mini craft saw and all my patience to cut along the studs.
This is my lovely non-load-bearing "interior" kitchen wall. I jigsawed out a peephole to check where in the world my studs are hiding. My stud finder was acting bonkers on me.
Be extra cautious of wires in the wall!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/bryansworkshop/

• My caren

I have a small kitchen with the only free walls being exterior. Would this project be do-able with them.? I need storage desperately! There is plenty of wall space but no storage. Any ideas on a built in storage other than cabinets?

• Twyla J Boyer

Beautifully done. Do I detect a little lip on the front of shelves to keep stuff from being easily knocked off? I am in the process of improving my kitchen until I can afford to renovate and I think this idea will work well in a couple places, though I will have to wall mount them instead of cutting into the walls because they are exterior and/or load bearing. (Every wall in my kitchen except the one with the fridge and stove is load bearing. Crazy)

• Bryan's Workshop

Yes, I put lips on the shelves. We get a ton of earthquakes in Japan. Please take pictures and make a post for you kitchen project. I'd love to see.

• Tree

It looks like you carefully cut out the drywall leaving it in place fronting the studs. Wouldn’t it have been easier to just rip-off all the drywall and simply tacked on the decorative top “molding”, or did you leave the drywall on top of the studs to add extra depth?

• Bryan's Workshop

I did it this way for depth. It's easy with a jigsaw and you also won't need to deal with the drywall nails/screws.