Build a Hidden Jewelry Cabinet Out of a Mirror!

$20

I always have such a hard time coming up with something special to get my incredible Mom for Christmas. I think we all want to get something useful and memorable and just amazing, especially for the people that are the most important to us. But that is a very tall order! I had come across a mirrored jewelry cabinet on Pinterest many times when it finally dawned on me that I could make one for Mom! She and I went to Walmart and picked up a nice black mirror. She didn’t have the space for a full length mirror so we decided on this one that she could hang above one of her bed side tables and it was only $9! From there, I got to work!

Initially it was as simple as making a box out of 1x4s. I made the box a touch smaller then the mirror and reinforced it with steel brackets for strength. I also added the board inset across the top for hanging necklaces from. It didn’t look like much of a jewelry cabinet at this point but I knew it would! From there I painted the box and then set to work on the mirror. It came with multiple sets of hardware on the back that I removed. I saved the screws and reused them (VERY CAREFULLY!!) for screwing the hinges on the back. I chose just small and simple hinges for this project because the mirror was not terribly heavy.

With the box painted and the mirror ready to attach I picked up some black felt for the back. Where I couldn’t staple the felt (because of the steel brackets) I just used glue. I stretched it tight, attached, then cut off the excess fabric. From there I got to work adding the little hooks for all of her jewelry. Across the top I used a ruler, spacing every hook one and a half inches a part and then just a hammer and a nail to help the hooks start, my thumbs are still sore from screwing all those in I think lol.

The lower hooks I put in the sides and ran jewelry wire across for all of her dangly earrings. I also added the lowest wire to give the bottom tray a little stability for all of her jewelry that she can’t hang. The little tray I just picked up for less then $2 also at walmart and it was nice for her jewelry cabinet because it had rubber feet on the bottom.

Hanging the cabinet I just used sheetrock anchors and two screws through the back plate. Later I plan on coming back and painting over the screws heads so they’re white like the cabinet. I also added a little magnetic latch so the mirror snaps (and stays) shut. (Yes, I realized quite awhile ago during this process that I essentially built my mom a medicine cabinet lol.)

So far she’s really happy with it and it was such a simple project!

• Mirror
  • Lumber

GrandmasHouseDIY

• Diarita

Love this. Must try it

• Lesa D

I love this idea! I’m wondering how difficult it would be to recess it into the drywall so it’s flush and the cabinet is almost invisible? Anyone try that?

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hey Lesa, oh that would be simple to do! Especially if it was built so it could go between two studs!