Chalkboard Subway Tile Backsplash for less than $20

$20

We are slowly working on the kitchen and new countertops are on the list along with a back splash. Those are another year or two out though so in the meantime, after painting our cabinets, I created a fake subway tile back splash using chalkboard paint and a chalk marker.
From further back even it still looks amazing and like real tile.
An easy and cheap alternative to a boring painted back splash area.  We aren't ready to tile our back splash yet but I wanted something fun to look at and decided to make my own fake tile.
An easy and cheap alternative to a boring painted back splash area. We aren't ready to tile our back splash yet but I wanted something fun to look at and decided to make my own fake tile.
Using chalkboard paint and chalk marker, we were able to draw straight horizontal lines using a level.  We spaced the vertical lines about every five inches, which is about the length of a subway tile.
Using chalkboard paint and chalk marker, we were able to draw straight horizontal lines using a level. We spaced the vertical lines about every five inches, which is about the length of a subway tile.
With less than $20 invested in my new backsplash, I love how it turned out!  It definitely kicked the kitchen up a notch and makes me happy every time I walk in here.
With less than $20 invested in my new backsplash, I love how it turned out! It definitely kicked the kitchen up a notch and makes me happy every time I walk in here.
Painting the cabinets this past summer was a lot of work that definitely paid off.  This quick change to the kitchen backsplash area makes it feel more finished.
Painting the cabinets this past summer was a lot of work that definitely paid off. This quick change to the kitchen backsplash area makes it feel more finished.
chalkboard subway tile backsplash for less than 20, chalkboard paint, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, painting, tiling
The Blooming Hydrangea

• Grace

Does the chalk marker smudge when touched or wiped? Or did you seal it with something?

• The Blooming Hydrangea

Hi Grace, I did not seal it and it didn't smudge when touched but I am sure if you wiped it with a wet cloth it might come off some. You could seal it if you wanted to but really it lasted until I painted over it.

• Cathey

I assume she used a matte finish polyurethane over it. I would.

• Christopher Bain

My counter top is black my sink is black and my cupboards are white the backsplash wall is still white and I do not like it,,,,,do you have any ideas. ty

• Maggie Connor

soft grey perhaps?

• Michael LoVetere

A medium gray...Get some gray paint chips from HD or Sherwin Williams.Find the approximate gray you want.....then find some ceramic subway tiles to match the paint chip you want...I would tile it, not use any kind of faux finish...
  • Faye youngstrom

Could other colors work and look as real?