Cody R
Cody R
  • West Point, GA

Penny Fireplace: A Penny for your thoughts?

$200
1 Week

We have a lovely house here in southern Georgia with 4 original coal fireplaces. The tile in our dining room fireplace was old and badly damaged so after some Google inspiration and pricing new tiles, we went with pennies!! Check out our penny fireplace +the custom R for our last name. This was all majorly impart to our friend Dirk who is the expert when it comes to tile work and remodeling things.

Every other penny is fliped head to bottom with some treasure hunts along the way ;)
A littleless than 5400 pennies, reused base molding, Bondera used for the penny adhesive,brown grout, and 2 coats of poly urethane.
final product!!
final product!!
Our fireplace when we first bought the home in 2008
A little paints been added over the years around the fireplace but its ready for pennies!!
Details of how the pennies were put into place
A few friends helping out
A few friends helping out
Almost done, we were able to reuse the molding around the bottom by simply raising it up to match the pennies

• Sandy Hartnett

Just curious did you shine the pennies first or just as they were? Beautiful!

• Becky Burris

Is this legal?

• Ellen Hoffinger Lowe

Did you remove the original tiles/stone on the fireplace or did you just use the pennies as an overlaying veneer?

• Shawna Bailey

If you don't care about added thickness (pennies aren't very thick) you can put it right on top.

• Emily moody

Hi I’m sorry if you have already answered these questions but this is excat;y what I want to do I’m my new home.

What did you use to do this? And is it safe with a working gas fire?
    ‘Thank you x
  • Dee

what did you seal it with? and did you grout over the pennies before you sealed them? Thanks! Your fireplace looks really cool.

• Naree Smith

I love working w/pennies. I once outlined a door frame with pennies. It was stunning. I just hot glued the pennies on the wall. When I moved, the pennies popped off real easy and a little bit of patching and wall was as good as ever.
  • Alice

This is the prettiest Penny project I've ever seen. Flipping the pennies head to bottom must be what makes the difference. It's GORGEOUS !!!