Jerry G
Jerry G
  • Smithfield, NC
Asked on Jan 11, 2012

when to cut fruit trees

Ricardo BMike and AnneDouglas Hunt

I have peach,pear,and apple tree, the weather has been so warm in N.C. I'm at a loss when to cut back the trees it has to be done .

Fortunately trees do not rely just on temperature to go into a dormant state, Jerry. The length of daylight also is a cue for them to produce growth inhibitor hormones. As long as the unusually warm weather doesn't last too long, they should remain dormant and you should be able to prune at the usual time.

• Mike and Anne

Jerry, I'd advise you to call the co-operative extension agent in Johnston County for a recommendation. (They usually schedule a fruit-tree pruning demonstration in late winter and keep up to date on the condition of plants in your area.)Trees in some areas of North Carolina have not yet gone dormant. In fact, some trees in Wake County are showing color in buds if they are in protected areas. Some cultivars are more susceptible to cold damage than others so you might want to find out which varieties you have before you call the extension ofrfice.

• Ricardo B

Regardless of what the tree is doing (even if it puts out a few leaves or a blossom) the sap is still close to the ground and the tree is resting and storing via the roots. PRUNE IT and do it IMMEDIATELY!