Rustic Valentines Heart Shaped Topiary

$12.00

I wanted to add some color and life into our cabin now that the Christmas decorations are down and the cabin feels empty. Since, Valentines Day is the next holiday that I decorate for, I decided to make a topiary with a live ivy plant in the shape of a heart.
rustic valentines heart shaped topiary, container gardening, diy, gardening, valentines day ideas
Here are the items that I used to create the topiary.
This was a quick, easy project and I already had everything I needed except for the ivy plant.
I started out by adding a layer of small gravel in the bottom of the pot. This is to help with drainage because this pot does not have a hole in the bottom of it. Then I added a small layer of potting soil and transplanted the ivy plant into the new pot.
Next, I found a stick that I could attach to the bottom of the heart shaped grapevine wreath and I wired it to the wreath with floral wire.
I gently pushed the stick into the center of the plant, through the soil and gravel, all the way to the bottom of the pot. I had to cut the stick to the right height so that the bottom of the heart was right at the top of the ivy plant.
I began wrapping some of the longer vines of ivy around the grapevine wreath on each side until I liked the way it looked.
Lastly, I trimmed off a few of the really long vines and placed the topiary in our cabin as a Valentines Day centerpiece.
I didn't throw away the vine trimmings. I placed the trimmings in little bottles of water because they will grow roots easily. In a few weeks, I should be able to plant the trimmings in a pot of soil and I'll have another ivy plant.
If you'd like to see more about our cabin and additional projects please click the link below.
Adina Johnson @ Simply Country Life

• Cindy Stone

where did you get the heart heart grapevine ? did you make it or buy it ? I have grapevines but don't know how to start to make a wreath.

• @Cindy Stone I have grapevines too, but don't know how to bend them to make a heart shape. I found this one at a thrift store, but I have seen them at Michaels craft store. Also someone mentioned they have used a wire clothes hanger and bent it into the shape of a heart to make one.

• Mse1612009

Yes, where did you get the heart wreath?

• @Mseo111 This one came from a thrift store. Lucky find. The local craft stores here sell them where they sell round grapevine wreaths. Someone else had commented that they have made these using wire clothes hangers that they bent into the shape of a heart, which I think is a great idea too.

• ArtRockstar

Really cute idea thanks for sharing, I noticed also the siding of I think your home behind the topiary; is it a cabin? I love it!!