Thrift Diving
Thrift Diving
  • Silver Spring, MD

The Makeover of a French Provincial Desk

http://www.ThriftDiving.com - I found this French Provincial desk at the thrift store and knew it would look GREAT with a beautiful grey and white color combonation! I used Annie Sloan Paris Grey and Pure White, and kept the existing hardware. The back of it had some damage, so I repaired it with MDF boards that I had found on the side of the road in a trash pile. :) See the blog post for a lot more pictures of the whole process, along with my 3 "Lessons Learned" from this project :) Thanks!!
My thrift store French Provincial desk, perfoect for a little girl! Painted with Annie Sloan Paris Grey and Pure White! This desk was only $12!!
Ugly, dirty, but I saw its potential. For $12, it would have been a sin to walk away :) The top drawer was missing a knob.
I filled the existing knob holes and drilled single knob holes in each drawer so that I only needed 2 knobs, since the 4th one was missing. Problem: SOLVED! :)
Grey and white is such a fresh combination!
Thrift Diving

• Charlene Davies

Love this! Gorgeous! I have the whole set when I was growing up in the 80s! I just purchased the desk on an online yard sale to complete, yay! How did you patch up the holes in the drawers? The desk I bought is missing a drawer pull but if I convert to one like you did, I do not need to buy another.

• Thrift Diving

thank you so much!

• Aarati S

Hi, I was just wondering when painting this desk did you first do a primer coat and then paint or did you need to sand as well? Thanks

• Thrift Diving

@Aarati S Nope, no sanding. Just be sure to use paint (like Annie Sloan Chalk Paint) which doesn't require sanding. Hope that helps! Good luck with your project!