DIY Pull Out Trash And Recyling Bin

$30

We have always wanted a pull out trash can and recycle bin. We decided to make our own since none of the "kits" fit the cabinet size we wanted to use it on. The cabinet that we wanted to use fit a few cookie and baking sheets and none of the kits had dimensions that would fit that narrow of a cabinet space!
Blog post linked below.
We chose a cabinet that was close to the sink. We realized that we often go from sink to trash can while cooking. I also wanted a recycle bin near by.
We measured for the width and length. The goal was to create a slide out with bars so that if food got stuck, we could clean underneath it. After measuring, the width of the trash bins would be 10 inches and the length of each box would be 12 inches.
We decided to add bars at the bottom of the slide out. Could you imagine a bag ripping and having to reach down and clean? I've always hated cleaning the bottom of trash cans outside. This was a great way to make messes easier to reach.
We created a hollow box with no side openings so that we could just slip the trash in. Pretty right?
We put the trash bags in, and slide it close. Now, we no longer have trash cans in plain site! Again, 10 inches in width, and 12 inches in length for each box. Each box holds a 13 gallon sized kitchen bag easily.
Weren't those ugly? I'm loving this new DIY slide out trash can/recycle bin so much better!
Check out the blog below for more details on how you can DIY yourself!

To see more: http://www.sengerson.com/our-home/diy-pull-out-trash-and-recyling-bin/

• Miry Monzon

Awesome idea! How about using paper bag I side the thash and nothing at all specially for recycling? Even more practical.

• Sara O'Brien

What is a price chopper? I'm going to do this! I always have extra wood and scraps, and this is why. A paper bag would no way be useful for my family. Maybe for burnable trash. I was going to do tilt out ,but after seeing this , I'm definitely going to try it !

• Debbie Parker-Munson

How deep into the cabinet does his go? It looks like you used your island. Is that deeper than a standard cabinet depth?

• Ruth Schwartz Covington

Hi Debbie. Island cabinets are usually the same depth as regular cabinets. The opposite side of an island is usually set up for seating, meaning, the depth of the top is bigger than the cabinet. Hope this helps! :)

• Joyce

So how is this different than the kit sold at Lowes ?

• Sheri N

I did this a few years ago, since I was disgusted with the garbage can eyesore! Best improvement we ever did to our kitchen! Thanks for posting your project! And a side note. We take out our garbage every other day so it doesn’t get stinky!

• Cabin 1954

Great job.