DIY Laundry Detergent

DIY Laundry Detergent is so easy, expensive, and natural! It really does take only ten minutes – and the hardest part is grating the soap. On top of that, it saves me about $20 bucks a month!! Goodbye Tide, hellow Fels Naptha!
diy laundry detergent, cleaning tips, laundry rooms
It really is super easy. Things you'll need:
bowl
medium size cheese grater
1-cup measuring cup
1/3 measuring cup you can part with as a scooper
storage container for the detergent
At the grocery store, you’ll want to get:
1 bar of Fels Naptha bar soap: $0.97
box of borax: $3.38
box of washing soda: $3.24
1. Grate the bar of Fels Naptha bar soap using the grater and bowl. This is the hardest part of the recipe. It feels like forever that you are doing it, when in actuality, it takes like ten minutes.
2. Measure 1 cup of washing soda and 1 cup of Borax into the bowl.
3. Mix up the stuff in the bowl all together and make sure you mix it well. Break up any huge chunks.
4. Finally, pour the whole thing into your storage container – and throw in your 1/3 measuring cup to use as a scooper :) You are done!
What you see in the image below is how much I got – and it has lasted me about 30 loads of laundry. Not bad for an $8.00 initial investment!

To see more: http://www.sengerson.com/motherhood/diy-laundry-detergent-diy/

• Centsably Creative

Did you intend to say "expensive" or "inexpensive" in your opening paragraph?

• M

So basically you're buying 3 kinds of soap to make ... soap. You can do laundry with the borax alone. Why bother with the rest??
    • Joe28973584

will this baking soda dissolve completely? My experience with baking soda does not dissolve very good And believe me over a period of time this would lodge around the agitator and cause problems with the cycle and the machine itself. Also my daughter used these products to make detergent and it does not get clothes clean.
  • Sylvia D Thomas

IS this ok for HE machines?

• Judy

You are wonderful. I am going to the store tomorrow and get the bar of soap.

I have to say I am always surprised at the mean things some people have to say! Wow! If you don't like something how about just move on? Someone offers you something nice and you turn up your nose...? I appreciate people sharing! This is a great idea!

• Sharon Menke

I make my own laundry soap as well but I make the liquid as I prefer that over the powder and yes it does a great job and is very inexpensive.