Can you help me decide how to top this tall/narrow table?

+7
The nature of our basement family room is such that I wanted a pub height table that could fit behind the sofa - about the width of a bar counter. There was actually a perfectly-wide but way-too-long shelf in another part of the house that I aimed to cut down and use as a top - it had a nice 3/4" border and everything. After the building the rest of the table, I realized I couldn't very well stain a laminated table top and it would look silly compared to the rest. Below the laminate, which is taking WAY too long to remove with a chisel and hammer, the wood is just flaky plywood that is sort of falling apart.
Salvage the top somehow?
Just get a board and cut it down, add a margin?
Some other inexpensive approach?
q can you help me decide how to top this tall narrow table, diy, how to, painted furniture, The top laminate partially chipped off revealing less than great quality below
The "top" - laminate partially chipped off - revealing less than great quality below,
q can you help me decide how to top this tall narrow table, diy, how to, painted furniture, The table upside down
The table, upside down