Desk Makeover With Menards Chalk Paint

$40

When I discovered that Menards carried chalk paint I had to try it out - especially since the price was only $19.97 for a quart. Don't expect this paint to be front and center in the paint department though, you'll have to walk way in back to the end of one of the paint aisles.
desk makeover with menards chalk paint, chalk paint, painted furniture
I wanted to give this sturdy yet very dated desk that I got for a steal an updated look for our guest room/office. After checking out the paint chip sheet (42 colors available) I decided to go with a light gray.
Ummmmm....that is not light gray.
After the paint dried (about an hour later), my desk was purple. This was not the color I picked out at Menards. There was no way I was going to put a purple desk in our guest room/office so it was back to Menards for me for another quart of paint.
This time I decided to go with white.
It was mid-July when I painted the desk and mid-July in the midwest means humidity. We ended up bringing the desk inside so it would dry faster with the A/C. I used the entire quart of white paint to cover the purple. I did not expect to use that much paint on a surface that already had paint applied to it.
Click the link below to see more pictures, read more about Menards chalk paint, and the type of sealer I used for this project.
Rose Lemke - What Rose Knows

• Cathy Doslovic

Love the look and would like to attempt to do an old buffet. Do you still have to sand the furniture before using chalk paint?

• Cathy Doslovic

No problem Rose. Your desk makeover inspired me to want to do that to a few pieces of furniture I have using the chalk paint. So thrilled to know that I don't have to sand!

• Sun3561795

Popcorn ceiling repl - I would like to cover it with Beadboard instead of the messy alternative.. Thoughts please..

• Sun3561795

Do you have a photo? Do you need to have nailer board underneath with individual boards? Then maybe sheets in smaller / other room ?? Thx

• Linda

Very nice, also like the chair cover, did you make that?

• Lyn1981829

Looks lovely.Must confess to being a little confused by all the "chalk paint trend" years ago my mother used good old emulsion paint ( what ever colour ) rubbed back in the areas she wanted wood / grain to show through and then top coated with Ronseal wax. She would even transform malamine furniture this way.

• @Lynnemitchellspaul I think I prefer to use it because it's "easy" and it doesn't have any odor at all. Chalk painting is definitely a trend though!

• Joan

It did look like grey to me, then again I might be colored blind,,,,I love how it turned out!