Monica Thein
Monica Thein
  • Alpharetta, GA
Asked on Apr 4, 2013

When to cut newly sodded Bermuda grass??

Monica TheinDouglas HuntSLS Construction & Building Solutions LLC

I just had Bermuda sod placed on bare patches of my lawn and without my knowledge, my entire lawn was mowed on the same day. The person who mowed my grass did not know there was new sod and now parts of the new sod look pretty torn up. What can I do to patch up the sod and will this damage its growth potential?
Thank you!
  • Well you can see about cutting out some spots & patching it, just sprinkle some seeds in the damaged area, or not worry about it. Bermuda is great as it will fill in bare spots if watered properly. The sod company should have given you a cut in X weeks - as I recall about two weeks cutting no more than a third of height is the recommendation. One thing to remember is that Bermuda does not grow so well in shady areas so you might consider rye or other grasses in those areas if it doesn't take off

Monica, I don't know what you could do other than making sure your new sod is kept moist so it doesn't suffer any further stress (along with making sure your mower doesn't repeat the mistake).

• Monica Thein

Thank you.