Tracie
Tracie
  • Wichita, KS
Asked on Jan 12, 2012

Herringbone pattern tile on mesh backing> Bad with wet saw?

Alana MeyersAbigail CogleyRenovation by Design
+4

I am wanting to install marble tile that is on the mesh backing. The tile is small and laid in a herringbone pattern meaning lots of diagonal cuts required to get flush against counters and cabinets. I am worried about a wet saw ruining the mesh backing as well as cutting the tile on an angle. Does anyone have any suggestions how to mitigate issues?
  • We have cut them many times with the mesh backing without any real issues. You may have one or two little tiles come loose that you will need to hand clip and insert as you place the mesh down. But never had any real issues otherwise. The biggest trick is to use a good quality saw. The $50 ones are garbage. And the $500 ones are way overkill for a DIY person. Be sure to dry the backs off once you make the cut so the adhesive does not soften and loosen the tiles. Several old towels seem to work well for us. Use a grease pencil to mark the tiles. and take your time. You will be surprised how easy they cut. Just do not push through the saw. Let it do the work. After a few cuts you will understand exactly what I am talking about.

• Tracie

What type of tile saw did you use?

• I do not remember the brand, but the one you want has a moving table that you put the tile on and the saw is stationary. Meaning the tile moves into the saw blade, Do not use the small table saw model that you push the tile through the blade. It is ok for two or three cuts in wall tile, but larger cuts demands a better quality machine. Most home centers with rental dept have these saws to rent at reasonable prices.

• Tracie

Thanks.

• Renovation by Design

Use a wet saw and you will should not have any problems. You need to make sure that you let the saw do the work so that you don't break off corners as you cut. http://www.cwremodelcontractor.com

• Abigail Cogley

tracie - how did your project turn out? i want to do the same thing and had the same question

• Alana Meyers

How do I tile a corner with herringbone mesh back?