Garage Sale Lamp Gets a Facelift

$20

Paid $5 for a pair of lamps at a garage sale, they were an ugly colour but in good shape. A can of white spray paint, a new lamp shade and they were transformed.
original lamp
Painted and a new shade added

These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Decor&Dine

• Sophia

did you sand them to allow for the paint to adhere & prevent future chipping ?

• Decor&Dine

I didn't sand them Sophia. I just cleaned them, They have not chipped and I have had them for several years now.

• Dale Toth

I have painted lamps and they look brand new. I have painted the shades with craft paint in a dry brush technique so they weren't a solid color. Some of the original shade was left to show through. The color I used was pretty intense and rather dark. With this mottled look I ended up with, it was not overwhelming. I sponged the same color on the lamp and used a bronze metallic on the metal trim. I loved the shape of the lamp but it was old and dated. I was able to keep the lamp I loved but it was new. I had many friends who wanted to know where I got it. When my husband saw it, his first question was "How much did that cost?" I was tickled to pieces to say "Nothing." He decided he loved it too.
    • Decor&Dine

That is fantastic Dale! It is great when we can make something great for pennies.

• Pam Shafer

The picture behind the lamps did you also do this? I would love to be able to do that, Butterflies are my thing I really love them. Please if you did could you tell me how you did this. Thank you

• Decor&Dine

Sorry Pam, wish I could take the credit but I bought that picture at Bowring in Mississauga.

• Mary

love it all but i would have left the lamps org color if in good shape.in pics looks like butterfly colors.
    • Mary

she could get a piece of board the size she wants .cover it with burlap choice of color,then if she can paint good if not this time of year you can get a varity of butterflies in the atrtificial flower dept attach &walla you have a 3d one.just a thought.have fun with it.
    • Decor&Dine

That is a fabulous idea Mary!
  • Barbara Molter-Porter

My first glance went to the wall art, where did you find that? It exactly what I'm looking for.
  • Corinnem11

Did you use gloss spray paint?
  • Margaret Howard

Are the lamps metal, ceramic? Or what are they made of?

• Debra

I I like that the white paint really "popped" the texture on the lamps! Great job! And I agree with other posters-great find for finding a pair for $5!
    • Decor&Dine

Thanks Debra. It's been a few years and they are still in great shape.

• Joanie

Your lamps and butterfly painting sure make a statement. Beauty!!