Garage Sale Lamp Gets a Facelift

$20

Paid $5 for a pair of lamps at a garage sale, they were an ugly colour but in good shape. A can of white spray paint, a new lamp shade and they were transformed.
original lamp
Painted and a new shade added

Decor&Dine

• Sophia

did you sand them to allow for the paint to adhere & prevent future chipping ?

• Decor&Dine

I didn't sand them Sophia. I just cleaned them, They have not chipped and I have had them for several years now.

• Dale Toth

I have painted lamps and they look brand new. I have painted the shades with craft paint in a dry brush technique so they weren't a solid color. Some of the original shade was left to show through. The color I used was pretty intense and rather dark. With this mottled look I ended up with, it was not overwhelming. I sponged the same color on the lamp and used a bronze metallic on the metal trim. I loved the shape of the lamp but it was old and dated. I was able to keep the lamp I loved but it was new. I had many friends who wanted to know where I got it. When my husband saw it, his first question was "How much did that cost?" I was tickled to pieces to say "Nothing." He decided he loved it too.
    • Decor&Dine

That is fantastic Dale! It is great when we can make something great for pennies.

• Pam Shafer

The picture behind the lamps did you also do this? I would love to be able to do that, Butterflies are my thing I really love them. Please if you did could you tell me how you did this. Thank you

• Decor&Dine

Sorry Pam, wish I could take the credit but I bought that picture at Bowring in Mississauga.

• Mary

love it all but i would have left the lamps org color if in good shape.in pics looks like butterfly colors.
    • Mary

she could get a piece of board the size she wants .cover it with burlap choice of color,then if she can paint good if not this time of year you can get a varity of butterflies in the atrtificial flower dept attach &walla you have a 3d one.just a thought.have fun with it.
    • Decor&Dine

That is a fabulous idea Mary!
  • Barbara Molter-Porter

My first glance went to the wall art, where did you find that? It exactly what I'm looking for.
  • Corinnem11

Did you use gloss spray paint?
  • Margaret Howard

Are the lamps metal, ceramic? Or what are they made of?

• Debra

I I like that the white paint really "popped" the texture on the lamps! Great job! And I agree with other posters-great find for finding a pair for $5!
    • Decor&Dine

Thanks Debra. It's been a few years and they are still in great shape.

• Joanie

Your lamps and butterfly painting sure make a statement. Beauty!!