Marvin R
Marvin R
  • Sanford, NC
Asked on Jan 13, 2012

Easy Seeds

Artist In The GardenAngel BMarvin R
+32

Whats the easiest flower seed you have grown with little to no effort? I would have to say nasturtiums for me are very easy to grow and the leaves are edible to bad they are annuals here in NC.I like simple perinneals or annuals that i can just toss on the ground with little to know work.Ive heard poppies and coneflowers are easy but ive never had good luck with these.
  • Marvin R

no work oops wrong no lol

• Kat's Home Repair Referrals

Zinnias are my absolute favorite. Just wish they weren't annuals!

Cleome and cosmos are easily grown from seed, and, although they are both annuals, will readily self-sow when they are happy.

• Sheryll S

Marigolds and Cosmos.

• 3po3

Second the marigolds. Pretty much no maintenance. Plus, they are great to plant around vegetable gardens to keep some pests away.

• Sheryll S

Yes, Marigolds, Cosmos, Zinnias all self seed for me. I LOVE them each and everyone! Especially the Marigolds. so beautiful and smell so wonderful.

• Cindy V

Marigolds and pansies

• Tina D

I agree with Cosmos and Cleomes,never tried marigolds.I wll try ,I have had great luck with coneflowers.They just keep reseeding every year,and the birds love them after they get their dried out seed heads.

• Shelli R

morning glories, i always forgot to water them and they did great!

• Krystyna E

cosmos are the best

• Debbie A

Calendulas and marrigolds

• Karen V

I find nasturtiums to be really easy, either in the ground or in planters. I love them for the edible petals and bright colours.

• Kathy G

I love nasturtiums, but I save all of my Zinnia seeds and then just throw them in with my iris's and spring bulbs. They come up just beautifully. I love zinnias also

• Sue K

other than dandylions! lol... coneflowers do all the work for me as do balloon flowers.

• Catherine S

Nasturitums and sunflowers.

• Dehydys V

Nasturtiums and morning glories, they comeback every year for me, such generous flowers =]

• Karen O

Marigolds! I save the seeds every year and have loads of seed to sow the next spring. They self-seed, but I like them in certain places, as around the perimeter of my garden and bordering the stepping stones in the middle.

• Marie E

petunias marigolds are easy to save plant them in pots in my greenhouse in late feb. :)

• Kathy Y

Four O'Clock (Mirabilis). I didn't plant them - I just try to keep them under control. They come up everywhere. Also Love-in-a-Mist (Nigella) and Morning Glory. Dkow what I didn't wrong but my marigolds never came up.

• Karen G

Sweet Alyssum....never fail, they love the cooler air and tolerate our hot, humid summers. They self-seed around my roses and the combo is perfect!

• Barbara

Calendulas and Morning Glories, they grow up my fence between the grass and the garden and it is beautiful in the morning

• Lorna M

Morning glories. They reseed every year. More and more morning glories. As a matter of fact I have had to use some roundup at the back of my vegetable garden to control the wild mess of morning glories that have taken over.

• Mimi Haywood

Many people are not aware that Roundup kills the honey bees and other beneficial insects that are so necessary for the life cycle to continue.

• Keith B

Its not a seed that I planted, but coopers ice once planted grows without any effort. just put in the dirt and it will take off

• Gordon H

For me, it would have to be calendulas and corn poppies (the red ones), They have never failed me!

• Deborah C

Love - in - a - Mist, Nigella. I love the way they look, very fine foliage, the flower is a bit unusual, and the seed pod is fantastic.I sowed a few seeds about seven years ago, and they have been cropping up every where. I love them, but my guy refers to them as weeds. I just pull them up where I don't want them-easy.

• Karen M

easiest and most outrageously prolific bloomers/reseeders have been my cosmos. i was going to post a pictures here of them in various stages, but remembered i blogged an entire entry on cosmos (with pictures) last month: If you want to read/see it click this: http://wp.me/p20n9P-97

• Karen M

oops..forgot the link: http://wp.me/p20n9P-97

• Angel B

I love all kinds of flowers I would love to start my own flower farm and maybe eventually community gardens around my farm for others to enjoy. For now i grow flowers and what not in the yard of my apartment building.

• Dandelions!

• Sheryll S

Kathy Y, you are right about Four O'Clocks... I adore them and ANY one can grow them. I dug up some to take to a co worker that had bought a house and said she killed everything. I did not want her to have to wait for seeds.. and a week or so later she said she had killed them and I said no you did not and next time I saw her she was over joyed to have them blooming and alive still.

• Cosmos, Black-eyed-Susans, Echinacea, Native Ox-eye daisie, like a charm.

• Marvin R

I just recently started coneflower,hosta seeds,cannas,and several other flowers upstairs in front of a window.I hope some of them sprout i wonder if they arent getting enough light its been about two weeks and no sprouts.I guess i need a heat mat or lamps.Ive tried wintersowing and had no luck with it but you would think starting seeds inside they would due well i guess i will have to wait and see .I always have trouble with echinacea i can never get them to grow from seed.

• Angel B

merigolds and sunflowers

• Artist In The Garden

Wildflowers. Wildseed Farms in Texas has great quality seed. Very helpful growing tips in their catalog. The California Poppies Eschscholzia californica- seem to get the most favorable comments. These reseed reliably. Every cultivar of this plant is bright and cheerful. Just one heavy pruning is necessary in the summer.