Jann Brooks
Jann Brooks
  • Tucson, AZ
Asked on Jan 7, 2016

Best way to clean black shiny appliances.

EloiseDarleneLinda
+49

I have tried vinegar, windex, stove top cleaner, newspaper, paper towels, micrfiber cloth, dish soap...Nothing seems to work to get the streaks gone. Everything is covered in streaks and finger prints...YUCK!!!!!
q best way to clean black shiny appliances, appliances, cleaning tips, house cleaning

I hate those ugly spots. I have the same thing. I tried bar keepers friend last night and that seemed to help. Today however there were the best cleaning ideas posted fro 2015.See what you think about this. www.hometalk.com/3013162/the-trick-to-cleaning-stubborn-grease-off-kitchen-appliances. From the photo it appears that is a grease build-up so hopefully this is the trick. I am going to try this as well.

• Ann Hotchkiss

I know what you mean, Jannie, and I have tried all the homemade concoctions I've ever known. Truthfully, the only product that excellently cleaned and polished was Pledge Multi-surface cleaner. One must weigh the pros and cons, though. My husband thinks surface smears like this are results of continuous outgassing and seepage of chemicals.

• Jcfish2

Have you tried Mr. Clean erasure? I have had luck with that. Also some old tee shirts help with the shine. Black shows every spot but I love the color in my kitchen

• Susano

I have black stove and microwave and I hate those streaks! I'm not sure but I'm thinking the streaks are the result of greasy residue that doesn't entirely come off with usual cleaning methods. Tonight I just cleaned some cupboards with a 50/50 mix of vegetable oil (I used olive oil but you can any oil) and baking soda. Blend them completely then wipe/polish the stove. Wipe with warm slightly soapy water and follow with clear water. Made my cupboards squeaky clean and I'm thinking it might work on the appliances. If there's any greasy residue from cooking, you need oil to dissolve it.

• Leslie Cuffe Deeds

Try low suds cleaner, rinse ,dry and then Pledge, it used to work great on black formica Lol

• Wei3035593

Recently read...take a slice of lemon, rub over spots, and WOW.....they are gone. I find this needs repeating about once per week, but looks just like new.

• Cindi

I have a black stovetop, and use Dawn dishsoap on a sponge to get off the grease, then go over it with Windex, it looks great.

• Alaina

A Norwex cloth and water works easy everytime

• Tracy Floer

Yes norwex!!! best clothes ever!! safe for enviroment and saves money in the end!! We have a Bed and Breakfast would not clean without norwex products!!!

• Merri jo

I use rubbing alcohol mixed with a little water in a spray bottle. Rub with a soft cloth. Takes a little time , but works for me.

• Pat

Borax! I have black tile countertops too and I mix about a 1/2 of tablespoon of borax in about 5-6 cups of boiling water so it's serial and then put in Clean spray bottle and use it on my countertops. Man does it do great! Borax naturally serializes everything too. But best of all, it leaves no streaks.

• Rae

I do the same as Cindi. I use the all purpose Windex and one of the new norwex or a cloth like it. Sometimes you have to just keep rubbing to get the shine and all the smears gone. I do this after every use and my stove still looks brand new.

• Marge Ellis

I use Scrubbing Bubbles to clean and polish. If you use paper towels all the paper lint will show. Try using a microfiber towel. The dust shows in the sunlight but the streaks are gone. I would never buy black appliances again!

• Kathy

For greasy messes, I use a wet cloth and dish washing liquid. Then I dry it with a clean cloth.

• Dale

Hydrogen peroxide on a very soft cloth working in a circular motion; then wipe off & buff with another dry, soft cloth likewise in a circular pattern. Works beautifully!

• Johnchip

I put in all black counter tops in one kitchen and just loved how they showed nothing, not even crumbs.. but it had a slight texture to it. Nothing black glossy will ever not show all your sins.

• Adrian

E-Cloth.com has a set of two cloths called "Window Pack" that will amaze you. Just wet one and keep the other dry, wipe the appliance then buff with the dry cloth. I use them for everything around the house and my car - windows, appliances, counters, mirrors, anything that attracts fingerprints. I hope this helps.

• Karenk

My entire kitchen has black appliances from the microwave to the trash compactor and I have found that the easiest way to clean grease and fingerprints, and still leave a streak free shine, is to spray on your cleaner (I just use windex) wipe away the grime and while it is still semi-wet squeegee off with a window squeegee (if it dries before you squeegee just spritz on a little more cleaner). Streak free shine every time!

• Susan Dye

I have not had good results with Windex, which was my go to product before the purchase of black appliances. What has worked for me is Pledge on a clean surface. I also make sure to use a clean dust rag. Since my stove is gas, I spray a little Pledge on the dust rag instead of directly on the stove surface. It's the only thing I've found that leaves no streaks.

• Judy

How do you squeege a range top???

• Mar2067780

I make a paste of soda and vinegar works well, but you cant let the grease build up, you have to do it after every use , also good for the glass top.

• DORLIS

@Margaretbrown71 That is what I was afraid of. black looks pretty when you first geet it, but needs constant cleaning.

• LIDuck

Reminds me of getting my eyeglasses clean when they have antiscratch film on the lens. You might try regular, non-sudsy ammonia in water, use a clean sponge to wash everything with it, and a new microfiber cloth to dry it. Microfiber cannot have been dryer dried with fabric softener, nor washed and dried with non microfiber items. Microfiber can go into a regular wash by itself, or with others of like kind, then dryer dried alone or with silicone dryer balls. Hope this helps.

• Dot

You might try Clorox wipes. I use these on my white electric range and it shines with no streaks. My range is old too. It' worth a try.

• Sherri

Glass cleaner works very well if you use it with a glass cloth

• Kathi Keenan

What a nightmare Black appliances are! I spray on Simple Green full strength, then after wiping away the grease and spatters, I wipe once with plain water. That's seems to work well, but we've got very low mineral content in the tap water here in Boston. If you have hard water, you may need to use distilled water.

• Trish Lally

Try alcohol in a spray bottle.

• Jessica

I clean mine with Clorox wipes or sometimes just hot soapy water and then I dry then with one of the micro cleaning clothes. they shine up and look nice afterwards.

• Cindy L

I read a tip site that says to spray furniture spray (like pledge) on a cloth to shine black appliances with, I haven't tried it yet, but plan on trying it soon.

• Pam

You may try a 1:1 rubbing alcohol and water (I put in a sprayer). Wipe clean, then another light spray and buff. Hope that helps. Black shows everything!

• Jill

You're problem is that you are only smearing he grease spatter on the stove around. You need to use something like 409, Fantastic or Simple Green to degrease the stove first. Then you can use window cleaner to make it shine.

• Cindi

I just found the best product ever for this, NORWEX Cleaning Cloths. They're not cheap, $30 plus, but you get two cloths and it cleans anything glass, shiny, etc. with just water. They use them at the antique mall where I go, and it's real quick and easy and takes off all smudges, fingerprints, streaks, etc. Amazon carries them. I'm getting them payday, for sure.

• Bosshogg

I use toothpaste, doesn't matter which kind, cheaper the better. A small amount on a sufficiently wet sponge (not dripping) rub this in with your hand and softly squeeze the sponge to make a lather of sorts, now apply all over the area you want to clean, squeeze more water through the sponge to keep the lather up and buff dry. This also works for removing those impossible stains/blemishes, but in this case less water in the sponge makes for a more efficient stain remover. Finish these latter areas as above. Also works on windscreens to remove that white film, flies etc. in fact works on any surface and no scratching, remember what its use is i.e. no enamel scratching. P.S. I'm from Scotland NOT Saratoga CA but cannot seem to change it in my profile page?

• P Proeschel

I use Lemon Ammonia straight

• B

I use baking soda and vinegar make into paste. Put on towel place towel on stove top and let it sit for ten minutes. Wipe any remaining up with soft cloth.

• Carol Boothe

I use the same cream cleaner that is for the smooth top stoves. As I am cleaning the stove top, I wipe a light coat onto the area where the controls are. I wipe off with a damp, clean, soft cloth. After wiping most of the residue off, I use another clean dry I use the same cream cleanser that I use on my smoothe top stove. I just wipe a light coat on the area around the controls. I clean residue off with a clean, damp cloth. I then buff with dry cloth that has just a spritz of window cleaner. It shines like new. I also use it to clean the front of my microwave that is over my stovetop. It really cuts the gunk and grease buildup from these and makes them shine like new.

• Jann Brooks

Although there were a lot of good suggestions, I went with the toothpaste and a microfiber cloth. Worked great. Thanks for all the great help

• Meem Kaplan

Jubilee kitchen wax. I was really hard to find but I see it's more available again.

• Linda

I use rubbing alcohol on my stove -- not only cleans up the grease but leaves a brilliant shine

• Dgreen

@Linda I read your post re: rubbing alcohol on a black stove top. So I hurried into my kitchen to try it. Yes! It works beautifully! My range looks brand new with just a little bit of effort. I have tried several different products which proved unsatisfactory. Thank you so much for your advice!

• Darlene

One really good tip is to towel dry it right away.