Tara @ Suburble
Tara @ Suburble
  • Canada

Make Your Own Fridge Liners!

$10

The fridge is a place where spills, goo, and grime are imminent. It's as if food fights happen in the night as we sleep. These easy DIY fridge coasters are inexpensive and make cleaning the fridge easy and efficient. By installing plastic placemats onto shelves and into condiment containers, there is no longer any need for hauling out large, awkward shelves (which, let's face it, do not fit into most sinks). Simply slip out the placemat, wipe it down and re-install! Easy, efficient and - happily enough - kind of pretty!
Check out the blog link if you want to see the details on my "before". Trust me, it will make you feel better about your own fridge situation.
Assess the situation: does your fridge look anything like mine? Is spinach trying to escape from the crisper?
Gather plastic placemats (I used 6). These are easily found at big box stores (especially in Spring and Summer months)
Fit placemats onto shelves. Cut or layer them! Installation is easy!
Cut placemats into smaller sections for the fridge door. This is where condiments normally "party", so liners are helpful here.
Admire your colourful and beautiful fridge.
Should any food decide to get crazy, you can now just pull out the placemat and quickly wipe it down. No need to remove heavy shelves!
Tara @ Suburble

• NanJWeeks

I have some wallpaper left over. Can I use that

• Tara @ Suburble

I think that would all depend on the type of wallpaper it is. If it's self-adhesive (pre-pasted on the back), I would be cautious, as it could end up sticking to your shelves.

• Suzanne

Do they slide all over? Or is there something that could make them more stable? Love the idea!

• Tara @ Suburble

I found that they didn't slide around all that much, but if you wanted to, I'm sure you could find little no-slide grippy stickers at the Dollar Store.

• Colleen wilkerson

You can get plastic non-slip cutting boards that work great for cutting, they did not slip, and they're cheap!
  • Ngl4445633

When you do this don't you cut down the coolness per shelf.

• Jackie Byrd

Don't you loose that very important light that you need especially on the bottom shelf in the back?

• Tara @ Suburble

When using the liners, I didn't really notice that, Jackie. It seemed like enough light for me.

• Linda Saunders Davis

The light factor is why I haven't tried this yet! If there was some way to do that with something clear I would love to do it. I HATE cleaning the fridge!

• Pam Gardner

Check in the contact paper section, I have found clear plastic drawer liner with no adhesive there. (I know Home Depot has it)

• Sunnybrook

Regular old waxed paper . Is easily replaceble and can be changed frequently for a clean surface every week. No washing required and it is biodegradable.

• Rachael

GLAD Press and Seal works great!
    • Rhonda

I used the GLAD Press and it leaves a sticky residue so I think I may try the place mats

• Katrina

The Dollar Store has *fantastic* CLEAR contact paper that I love! I use it on my kitchen window sill, on the table repurposed for my fish tank, the coffee table, etc.

Just replace when dirty!

• Reta Green

GREAT IDEAS. I THINK I WILL USE PARCHMENT PAPER, AND DOUBLE SIDED TAPE. NOW IF I COULD ONLY REMEMBER WHERE I SAW THE AFFORABLE TURN THINGYS. LAZY SUSANS MAYBE? THX AGAIN
  • Itsmemic

Just a quickie ...always remember to leave space between drawers and shelving that is side by side...leave a space on the sides and in the back of the shelves also or the airflow will be hindered . Got this advice from the makers of my huge freezer refrigerator Pro series