Meredith Wouters
Meredith Wouters
  • Albuquerque, NM

Make Your Own Dreamy Lit Headboard - It's Easier Than You Think!

What do you do when space is at a premium in your bedroom? Get rid of your bulky bedframe! But you need something pretty in its place and I have the perfect solution...a lit headboard made out of simple string lights and curtains. Bonus: it does double duty as a reading light!
make your own dreamy lit headboard it s easier than you think, bedroom ideas, how to, wall decor
To get this dreamy effect in your own bedroom, you simply need: - 3-4 curtain panels - a curtain rod a few inches wider than your bed (70" for a queen, 86" for a king) - 1-2 strings of white Christmas lights (80-100 lights total) - and several small nails or Command hooks. I also recommend using a remote switch, so you can turn the lights off from bed without having to unplug them.
When searching for the perfect curtains, try to find something that's not totally opaque, but also not sheer. You should be able to see light shining through, without being able to actually see the lights behind the curtain.
First, measure and hang the curtain rod supports over where your bed will be. Set the rod aside for later. Then use the small nails (or Command hooks if you don't want holes all over your wall) to hang the lights in an even pattern on the wall under where the curtain will hang. Note: If your walls are light to medium colored, use lights on white cord, rather than the green that you would use on your Christmas tree. That will keep the cord from showing up through the curtains.
Plug your lights in to check your pattern. I used an old set of umbrella lights (the kind that are meant to be attached to the inside of a patio umbrella), so mine came out in a sort of shell pattern, but if you use regular string lights, your pattern will be more of a grid.
Thread your curtain panels on the rod. If you are using curtain clips, you can keep the panels from separating by clipping the edges together (ends facing the wall) on one clip.
On each side, hang the last clip on the outside of the support bracket. This will keep the curtains from moving around.
A little behind-the-scenes peek! Note: I've had several questions about the safety of putting lights so close to fabric. While I've never had a problem with mine even getting warm to the touch, I would suggest that you be sure to buy newer lights that are designed to stay cool, or even LED lights, which are widely available.
Plug your lights into the wall adapter for your remote switch, and set the clicker by your bed, so you can turn off the lights from your cozy spot once you're done reading.
Now you have a romantic and functional lit headboard. Enjoy! And be sure to check out the full tutorial on the blog fore more tips and details, as well as where to find these resources.

Meredith Wouters

• Lisa Lyons

Where do you find lights that have a remote? I don't think I have ever seen those?

Thanks

• TW

What do you use to support your back when you sit up and read in bed? Do you put the pillows against the light? I do like the idea and the look

• Lynn L Carroll

Anyway to print this so I can take to the store to get the items as well as have on have on hand for project?

• Lydia

Do a screen shot of it. You can save it as a note on your phone so you don’t have to look through all your pictures to find it at the store., or you can print the screen shot 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Heather
    12 hours ago

That is so pretty! It looks like a second window.

• Sarah
    18 minutes ago

Love this idea. Trying to think how to adapt it so I can keep my headboard but get the same look and feel. I already have remote control boxes and 3-box switch for all the lamps in my bedroom (Home Depot).