Shelly L
Shelly L
  • Wyandotte, MI
Asked on Apr 5, 2013

Cleaning carved wood antique table?

Shelly LCamilla153091
+5

What is the best product to use to clean dirt out of the (carved edges) and legs of a wood antique table I found in the attic?? It has very old water marks as well and I do not want to strip it because it has some painted flowers on the top surface and I would like to keep that. Appreciate any advise!
  • Kimberly Barney

I had a similar table and can air was really the best thing to clean all the crevices.

• Shelly L

Ha!! What a great idea Kimberly!! I never would have thought of that!!!

• Shelly L

Someone also suggested to try mayonnaise on the old watermarks??? I'm going to test a small spot. I love to find old treasures like this table. I would like to know the age of it and it's history for sure. It looks Victorian to me but....I should take a picture and post it!

• Spheramid Enterprises

Murphy's oil soap and a tooth brush.

• Jeanette S

Water does not hurt wood if you dry if as you go. Good idea to air blast clean it first. Then use a damp to wet toothbrush wiping with a dry cloth as you go. Wipe the toothbrush on cloth as you go, swish it out in clear water and wipe again. Then dip back in warm water mixture of Murphy's Soap solution and continue. This is not going to be as tedious as you might think and should move along quickly. You may have to use a bit of a flicking motion to get the water out of the crevices or you can use a small soft sponge to put into the grooves and remove damp grime! You will get an action going an wind up with a fantastic piece that will be worth the work.

• 153091

small scratchs & watermarks use meat of a nut...walnut, pecan...the oil in the nut usually covers the scratch.

• Camilla

I buy the cheapy sets of paintbrushes and basting brushes from the dollar store and use them wet or dry. They work great for all of the cracks and crevices in lamp shades, knick knacks and furniture!!

• Shelly L

WOW!!! Thanks so much for the ideas everyone!! Fantastic. The table is my project this weekend. I can't wait to see it finished. I love to find these buried treasures.