Asked on Jan 13, 2012

Cat urine in carpet solutions?

WilliamJudy SteffenDiane Basile
+11

Anyone know of some "home brews" that will take cat urine smells from carpets? I have tried all the commercial cleaners. Not much help there. I sure hate the price tag of replacing a houseful of carpet!
  • I use a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. Unless you have a pet pad under your carpet you may need to work it into the pad. Here is a suggestion from e-how: http://www.ehow.com/how_2701_remove-cat-urine.html

• Bertha

Sorry for chiming in a bit late to the discussion, but I really feel like I need to add my 2 cents.

Cats don't just pee on floors and beds because they're in pain - could be a multitude of other reasons! Most common is that male cats feel the need to mark their territory.

As for myself, I finally found something that works for the cat pee smell in my home! A herbal mixture of sorts! I now recommend it to everyone because it works so freakin' well and we save SOO much money!

You should definitely check it out, we don't even buy Odorban and the likes any longer :)

What a relief to finally have gotten rid of the horrible cat pee smell, and for a decent price as well.

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked.

He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at. It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior. Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

To be honest, I don't know too much more about it so I did a quick Google search and here's a description of the spray with a long review as well.

No I have not been paid for this post nor do I make any commissions off of it. I really just want to help you guys out. I hope you don't mind.

I'm based in Sweden, by the way, so you should be able to get it too.

Good luck with the odor! It really lowers your quality of life, doesn't it?

• The Money Pit

Try this product: Odor Free 123. Not homemade but very effective:...http://www.justrite.com/

• Natures miracle Sold in white bottle at most pet stores. Purchase a black light as well. The black light will tell you exactly where the urine is located as it glows green. We had an issue with an older dog that is now gone. He was left in truck a bit long and peed all over the back of my wife's Suburban. I turned on the black light and the whole back end of the carpet in the truck glowed bright green. We soaked the area with the Natures Miracle and when it dried. No odor and it no longer could be found with the black light.

• Designs by BSB

I swear by BAC-OUT (a natural enzyme)

• Brenda D

SHAW flooring sell a product called R2x go to the web site it's about $10 works on wood floors and carpets. i love the stuff worked for my dogs puppy stage

• Mary

I have a cat that used to spray on our new couch. I washed it with Dawn in my shampooer, let it dry then poured vinegar on it(or from the shampooer) sucked it up with the shampooer, let it dry. Once dry, smelled it, if I could still smell pee, I did it again. To stop him from doing this, I bought new large CLEAR storage containers for litter boxes and haven't had trouble since. He was afraid to go in the hooded boxes, once he could see all around him he stopped peeing in the house and on the couch.

• Margaret

I found this on Pinterest. We had just bought a new mattress and box springs and the cat peed all over it. Recipe: 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, 1 tsp. liquid soap. It got out the stain and the smell. Treated it about 6 times as we didn't find it for a couple of days. I had used commercial products with no luck.

• Sandra M

Anyone tried OdorXit?

• Grady

Everything that a cat pees on is destroyed and needs to be replaced. It is very hard to get out. I would just give up if my cats did this.

• Diane Baldwin

yes Grady i think so too. my cats had to go out.

• Diane Basile

We had a brand new house erected where my old one was my cat was not happy. She proved this by urinating all over the place. I tried everything on the market, really get it out. Two years later my cat passed away and I thought I had everything under control. I was replacing floors and have to replace the carpet on the stairs, where she scratched the top step. When we pulled molding away, even though I had used so many products, naural and chemical, it was moldy and smellEd so bad we had to tear up the wall (2' high x 8') and replace the sheetrock. Where she peed by my bedroom door I had an extra piece of carpeting so we were going to replace it with that. When my husband took the carpeting and the padding up, after she had been gone three years, the subflooring was wet to the touch. & I mean wet & smelled horrible. We had to replace the carpeting, subflooring & molding. And even though I love cats my husband said never again. Our house at the time was only a year old! Sorry to be so negative, but that was my experience.

• Judy Steffen

I used Nature's Miracle - two gallons, several gallons of vinegar, 20 Mule Team Borax, carpet shampoo and Simple Green. The smell kept coming back -- all of the products etched the concrete under the carpeting. I had the carpeting replaced with tile -- love it!

The best BISSELL pet machine formula for removing strong odors caused by urine 48 oz, 2X concentrated discourages pets from urinating in same spot again. Safe for use in all full-sized carpet cleaners. Contains Scotchgard to help protect carpet from future stainsKeeps carpets looking newer. Keep your carpets fresh and stain free in-between deep cleanings Use the 2X Professional Pet Urine Eliminator Formula in your BISSELL DeepClean Deluxe Pet Deep Cleaner 36Z9 http://topcarpetshampooer.com/product/bissell-2x-professional-pet-urine-eliminator-full-size-machine-formula-48-ounces-67a5