Asked on Jan 14, 2012

What is a good replacement for an 80's style fluorescent light in the kitchen?

TheKimSixFixDesigns by BSBHDK Electrical Enterprises


8 answers
  • KMS Woodworks
    on Jan 14, 2012

    LED track lights are becoming popular

  • LED's are long lasting like KMS suggests, you could also try CFL's

  • In my humble opinion, nothing changes a room like recess can lighting. It is the most compltet lighting to do in a kitchen because the light can be installed in a way that eliminates dark spots and shadows caused by leaning over to work at sinks or stoves

  • Maria L
    on Jan 17, 2012

    Thank you!

  • Beverly H
    on May 5, 2012

    So many beautiful lights...go with something decorative that hangs down from the ceiling that will go with your style/decor.

  • HDK Electrical Enterprises
    on May 12, 2012

    All the traditional lighting ideas are good, but the best bet is to check out some lighting shops and some warehouse hardware supply stores and find what meets your fancy. Typically recessed lights around edges of the room and a great centered accent light will brighten up the room and your spirits.

  • Designs by BSB
    on May 13, 2012

    Your question brings out more questions first. Budget is a huge factor! If you are trying to be economical, track lights are the best "upgrade" over the center mounted fixture like you have. The offer flexibility to placement of the track/lights while keeping the main electrical connection in the same location. Reduced labor costs! I humbly agree with ElectraMedics... recessed can lights are one of the best options, but often time the most expensive. Each fixture with installation can average $100 a piece (from my experience here in GA). Where you costs will vary the most is evaluating the access to the ceiling.. attic above? if not, then all work is done by cutting up the drywall to run the new wires

Your comment...