Home Repair Tutor
Home Repair Tutor
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Fix a Door that Closes or Opens by Itself

$0

Anyone else have this problem: your door automatically closes or opens?
Before this simple fix we had to use a door stopper to keep the bathroom door from closing.
My wife was just a bit perturbed when I told her how easy this repair was to do. The back story is that we've had this issue for 6 years (and yes, she's been after me to do it for that long).
Please don't judge me too much!! I apologized to her and have done several things to make it up.
Here's what you do, pull the hinge pin from the middle hinge. If you only have two hinges then pull the pin from the bottom hinge.
Place the hinge pin on a scrap piece of wood. Tap the center of the pin with a hammer (2-3 times depending on how much spinach you eat).
This puts a slight bend in the center of the pin. The bend will prevent the door from moving by itself.
Put the pin back in the hinge and you're done!! No more door that closes or opens by itself :)
Don't be like me, do this easy weekend DIY project and stay on the good side of your spouse-LOL.
In case you'd like to see how to do this via a short video check out my post at http://www.homerepairtutor.com/fix-a-door-that-closes-or-opens-by-itself/
Just say NO to the dreaded door stopper. You won't need it anymore after this fix.
Remove the hinge pin from the middle hinge or bottom hinge.
Slightly bend the hinge pin using a hammer and scrap piece of wood.
Home Repair Tutor

• KlLehr

Would this work on a hinged kitchen cupboard door..two hinges..35 yrs old. ??

• Msi1170121

Your problem may not be the hinges but the catches (usually behind the door and in two parts. Half will be on the u derside of a shelf and matched with a knob or plate on the back of the door. If you have the knob/clip kind, use needlenose pliers and pinch the clip tighter. If you have the magnetic kind, you may need to clean gunk off the magnet, reposition the magnet, or replace because the magnets tend to loose strength.

• Ann

How do you first get the pin out?

• Steve

Use a screwdriver or a nail to tap it out from the bottom side if there's a hole in the bottom. If not, or if it's the bottom hinge, use a flat head screwdriver to get between the head of the pin and the hinge and pry or up. Then pull it out. If it's hard to remove, try wiggling the door open and closed while pulling it out.

• Warren A Steele Sr

Sometimes that IS the hard part. This really works, and is a blessing.

• Barbara

I got the pin out and I have a piece of wood I am pounding the heck out of the pin but it won't bend can you help

• Alex Gilbert

Use a hammer

• Barbara

Yes that is what I am pounding with.

• Barbara

I hired a contractor for a different problem and when he was here I asked him about the door he recommended a magnetic doorstop and is coming back tomorrow to install it. Hopefully it will fix the problem .

• Randy Willems

What hinge you bend if their is only 2 hinges on your door