Our Tomato Planting Tips

With the weather warming up, some of you may be planning to plant some tomatoes. Follow our tips that we've garnered from experience over several years of growing tomatoes and you'll be making your first 'mater sandwich before you know it!
Our tips will guarantee you success with growing tomatoes this year!
Clip or pinch off the lower leaves in order to plant more deeply
Plan how you will water your tomato plants-they need a consistent amount of water
Add dead fish and crushed eggshells to your planting hole to prevent blossom end rot
Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads

• Robert Gamlin

Using egg shells or fish , I found attracts animals to dig up the plants , what do you do to prevent that . Thanks .

• Robert, we don't seem to have a problem with animals being attracted to the fish and eggshells, probably because we have an outdoor cat that roams at night. Well, once the cat did dig up one of the fish. I almost forgot about that!

• Robert Gamlin

Thank you & l wanted you to know how I enjoy your home talk information . Although I'm 92 and have gardened all my life , you can always learn more &/or confirm what you've thought you knew , never gets old Especially if your a plant nut like me . God bless .

• Janie Moore

Haven't tried it yet, but I've seen the suggestion a couple of times. Use plastic forks around your plants, sticking the handle into the earth, leaving the prongs up. That should deter anything from digging around the plants or laying under them in the heat of the day. Plastic forks are inexpensive and reusable ...
    • Diane Collins Jessup

Add garden lime on top of the fish, cover with soil and then plant your tomatoes